Mondays for Moms: Garbage Disposals
Monday, February 22, 2016 - 8:08am
Tip#5: Garbage Disposals do NOT eat everything
Many people are under the assumption that everything can go down a garbage disposal. This is false. Garbage disposals are good for grinding up foods, but some foods are not good for your garbage disposal or drains.
What not to put in your garbage disposal:
- Fibrous foods: celery, lettuce carrots, onion skins, potato skins, etc.
- Pasta, Rice, And Beans: these foods can swell in water
- Grease, Fats, and Oils: All theses can clog drains and create unpleasant odor in the disposal
- Egg Shells: shells do not rinse down drains well, kind of like sand
- Non-food items: they do not break down in drains
How to clean and kill odor in your garbage disposal:
- Put a handful of ice cubes into the disposal.
- Grind it up. Pour a little dish soap or lemon juice if you want.
- Wash out of the disposal with warm water.
This will clean the residue and eliminate the odor in your disposal.
If you hear strange noises, whining or screeches coming from your garbage disposal, do not ignore it. Turn it off right away and call your plumber at your convenience.