5 Tips For Getting Your Bathroom Plumbing In Top Shape!
Thursday, November 5, 2015 - 3:13pm
When soap, body wash, and shaving cream rinse down the drain they are thin and liquid because they are hot from the temperature of the water. But, once inside of the drain these products begin to dry out and become hardened. Their texture is similar to paper mache and they will quickly trap strands of hair. The end result is a very stubborn clog that needs professional attention. Having houseguests visiting and a clogged shower drain is a recipe for a short visit.
There are also many things that can cause a malfunction with your water heater. A burst or malfunctioning water heater during this time of year could be a real disaster, especially if you have houseguests that have traveled all day and are looking forward to a hot shower.
Here are some steps that you can take to make sure that your bathroom plumbing is in top shape for your visitors:
- The valve on your water heater tank that is designed to release building pressure is called the pressure valve. Because the water in your water heater tank is constantly being heated, and normally to a recommended 120 degrees, it naturally causes steam. This steam builds up in the tank and must be released or it will cause the tank to rupture. A properly working water heater pressure valve is essential to safety.
- These temperatures will cool the water in your hot water tank down from the outside. It’s similar to putting a cup of hot tea into the freezer. By wrapping an insulated blanket around the tank, you create a buffer from the cold.
- This is a great time to consider installing low-flow shower heads. Since you are spending time doing some preventative maintenance, you may as well spend some time taking steps to save water and money.
- Check inside of the pipe that the shower heads screws into to make sure there aren’t any obvious signs of clogs. Also, where the pipe goes into the wall should be check for any leaks or drips.
- Make sure that the seal around the base of your toilet is fresh, and there aren’t any cracks or missing pieces. You can purchase new sealant at any home improvement store and replace the seal in just a couple of minutes.
Having a clean and tidy bathroom with properly working plumbing is essential to a happy family visit. With extra houseguest being the norm this time of year, it is important to take these few maintenance steps and ensure that your plumbing is ready for the season.