When water damage occurs in your home, it's rarely convenient or expected. In fact, it can be a very sudden and disruptive experience, leaving one wondering what to do next, or how to handle it. Water damage is common in parts of Washington State, but chances are, unless you're a professional plumber, you might not know how it should be dealt with or cleaned up. These 5 tips will help you make the best decisions about your water damage, ensuring that no further damage is done to your home.
- Time is of the essence. As soon as you notice water leakage or damage, it's important to stop the flow of water to wherever the leak is. It could be as simple as a valve switch, or you may need to shut off the water for the entire home. This should be done before you even call a plumber.
- Even if it seems that the water damage is minor, it's important to determine the source. While leaks that are out in the open are easy to find, many times water damage can be incurred by plumbing that is in the walls, floor, or ceiling. A plumbing professional will be able to assess and repair the source of the leak and do the necessary repairs.
- Ceiling stains or water stains on the walls are usually signs of more severe water damage. When water seeps through the structure of a house, it is harder to see immediately, since it's not out in the open. Unfortunately, this can result in higher levels of damage, sometimes including mold or even structural compromise. If you experience this kind of water damage, it is important to call a professional plumber immediately.
- If the water damage is significant, it may be a good time to update and remodel. With significant damage, repairs can be costly. This may be the best time to turn the damage into an opportunity to upgrade. You could get the new kitchen of your dreams, while also increasing your home's value.
- Always hire a plumbing professional for water damage repairs. Water damage is a serious issue for any homeowner, and a licensed professional should always be the one to do your plumbing repairs. For any help you may need with water damage or other plumbing services in Olympia, Washington, contact us at Mr. Rooter. No matter how large or small the water damage, we are here to help.