Whether you're getting ready for the day, making dinner, or washing your hands, it's clear that we put our home's drains through the wringer every day. Even if you're extra careful with what you do and don't pour down the drains or flush away, slow-moving drains are still possible – everything has a breaking point.
It's important to do a bit more than just avoid pouring old cooking grease down the drain. The best way to keep your home's plumbing system as reliable and efficient as possible for you and your family is to have regular plumbing maintenance done by a professional plumber, including routine inspections and drain cleaning.
Why Are Clean Drains So Important?
Clean drains are essential to keep your home safe and comfortable and your plumbing system happy and reliable, benefiting from fewer clogs and faster drainage. If you don't have your drains cleaned annually, your plumbing system will be subject to developing:
- Slow-moving drains
- Bad odors
- Unsafe conditions
- Expensive repairs
What Can Cause Clogged Drains?
Of course, it's important to regularly clean your drains to keep them flowing smoothly, but it's also smart to know what can cause a drain to become slow so you can better avoid that problem. Some of the most common causes include:
- Soap and toothpaste scum
- Dirt, soil, and debris
- Food waste, oil, and grease
- Toilet paper build-up
- Flushable wipes build-up
- Cotton swabs, tissues, and other small objects
- Feminine hygienic products
Even if you didn't pour grease down your kitchen drain or otherwise cause your dirty drains, there may be other problems in your household that can cause your drains to become clogged, including:
- Mineral build-up
- Tree root intrusion
- Rat infestation
- Leak or crack
- A shift in pipes resulting in an offset
If your drains are taking forever to drain or have stopped entirely, you might try calling a plumber to find out where the problem lies and to get it fixed.
How to Keep Your Drains Clean
To keep your drains clean, try some of these suggestions:
What to Do
Here are some things you can do to keep your drains clean and your system flowing the way it should:
- Do Install Traps – Installing hair traps or guards are great at catching things that shouldn't be going down the drain. These are inexpensive, offering one of the cheapest ways to avoid clogging your drains.
- Do Act Quickly – It's best to address a slow-moving drain as soon as you notice it; left untreated, the problem can end up causing a major clog, health concerns, costly repairs, water damage, and more.
- Do Use Natural Solutions – The age-old trick of combining baking soda, vinegar, and flushing with hot water can provide some relief from a clog in your system.
- Do Turn to the Pros – Above all, seek out help from a professional plumber if you have drain or plumbing problems.
Even if these solutions provide temporary relief, debris may still be left behind. Having a plumber inspect and clean your system can provide you with the long-lasting relief your system deserves.
What Not to Do
There are some things you should avoid when you're dealing with a slow-moving drain, including:
- Don't Use Store-Bought Drain Cleaner – The first thing many people do when they notice a clog is pour drain cleaner down the drain. The harsh chemicals commonly found in these solutions can cause more harm than good to your pipes.
- Don't Snake Your Pipes Yourself – The snakes and rooters you can purchase at your local hardware store aren't as powerful as the tools and professional augers plumbers use. Plus, snakes don't clean your drains. They only can move or break up your clog.
- Don't Put Everything Down Your Drains – Remember, if you put something down the drain, it doesn't always mean that it'll go away. Things can easily get stuck and evolve into a major emergency.
When in doubt, don't handle it on your own; instead, call a plumber. Following this simple motto can help you prevent additional damage to your system and home.
Why Is Professional Drain Cleaning the Best Choice?
Whether you can't solve your minor clog with a plunger, you've noticed frequent clogging of a particular drain, are experiencing more than one clog in your home, or just need help to restore the function of your system, you should reach out to a plumber as soon as possible. Turning to a professional can help you:
Reduces Future Service Calls
Most people don't think about their drains until there's a problem, but having them professionally cleaned regularly can prevent future problems and service calls, saving you time and money.
Makes Caring for Your System Easier
When you have your drains cleaned by a professional, you know that you won't have to deal with clogs again for a long time. This means that you won't have to worry about clearing out your drains or carefully monitoring what is happening, as they will remain clear and flowing freely.
Ensures Long-Lasting Protection
When you need drain cleaning, count on Mr. Rooter to blast out the gunk and leave your drains spotless with HydroScrub®. The hydro-jetting technology is a powerful way to rid your pipes of clogs and debris while still cost-effectively cleaning your drains and ensuring long-lasting protection.
What Can Mr. Rooter Do for My Drain Problems?
When it comes to drain cleaning, Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Yavapai, Coconino and Maricopa Counties is the name you can trust. That's because our plumbing experts are licensed and insured, work around the clock, and have been trained in the latest equipment and techniques to deliver a service like none other.
We offer a workmanship guarantee, so you know you're getting the best service possible. Our friendly uniformed professionals come to your home in a clean and stocked truck, ready to take care of any problem right away. Give us a call 24/7 for fast and reliable service you can count on!
Unclog your drains and fix things faster – contact us today to request your drain and plumbing estimate!