To read more blogs, click here.
Preventative Maintenance Tips for Your Home Plumbing
Looking for the best way to avoid plumbing repair and replacement expenses? The best way to avoid repairs and replacements is to focus on preventative maintenance because it can help identify issues before they spiral into emergency problems, and it can help lengthen the lifespan of your plumbing system’s many components.
You don’t always need an expert to perform maintenance tasks. Here’s a look at many of the plumbing preventative maintenance tasks that you can easily perform in your own home:
- Attack Slow Drains: Consider a slowing drain a warning sign. When you have a drain that’s not clearing as quickly as it once did, that’s a sign of a problem — and that problem is going to get worse over time. Grab a liquid plumbing solution at the store or use a blend of vinegar and hot water to help clear the drain. The longer it goes without maintenance, the tougher the clog will be to clear.
- Check for Leaks: Leaks can hit in a number of different places, including your water heater, disposal, washer and refrigerator. Check and make sure that you see no standing water, staining, warping hardwoods or other signs of leakage in these areas. Addressing leaks right away can help you avoid costly services later.
- Think Before You Pour or Flush: What are you putting down your toilet or down your drain? Make sure that only toilet paper and human waste are going down your toilets, and make sure to keep fats, greases, coffee grounds and other problematic food products from heading down your drain — these items can create future clogs.
- Drain Your Water Heater: Sediment builds up in your hot water heater over time, and this sediment should be cleared on a semi-annual basis. Why clear the sediment? Because it reduces your hot water heater’s effectiveness over time, and it can even shorten a hot water heater’s usable lifespan.
- Examine Hoses: Check the hoses attached to any of your home appliances that are part of the plumbing system. Any signs of brittleness, cracks or leaks should be identified and addressed.
There’s much preventative maintenance you can tackle on your own, but sometimes you need an expert for more advanced maintenance tasks or for emergency repair. You should always know and have access to a plumbing expert in your area.
At Mr. Rooter of Oneida, our plumbers can be your experts for maintenance, repair or installation. Don’t trust your home and its plumbing to just any service provider. Choose Mr. Rooter of Oneida and get the best possible service for your home.
Contact us today for a quote or schedule an appointment for maintenance service.