The plumbing snaking throughout your home is one of the most important and frequently used systems of your household. Over time, it is normal to experience issues like leaking faucets, clogged drains and jammed disposals. While plumbing fixtures are often intimidating for many homeowners, several of these common problems can easily be addressed with patience, practice and the proper tools. However, not every plumbing issue you find throughout your home can be resolved alone, and it’s best to understand which plumbing breakages can be handled with DIY techniques and when to hire a professional plumber.
Knowing the Basics
Before grabbing your toolbox and tweaking your home’s pipes and plumbing fixtures, you need to know how to turn off water at the water main. If you attempt to repair plumbing without shutting off the water, you may find rushing water spilling from the area with no way to quickly shut if off. Make sure to locate your home’s main water shut off valve — for most houses, the water shut off is located either at the property line at the water meter or, for individual fixtures, beneath the sink or toilet.
Grabbing a Wrench — Best DIY Plumbing Projects
The most common plumbing issues found throughout homes — leaking faucets, clogged toilets and slow draining sinks and showers — can be repaired by homeowners without risk for causing extensive plumbing damage. By tackling these minor problems yourself, you can easily save on the cost of professional plumbing labor expenses.
Other household plumbing breakages and installations homeowners can confidently handle include:
- Installing new faucets and shower heads
- Replacing old toilets
- Installing a new dishwasher
- Replacing broken or dated garbage disposals
- Thawing frozen pipes
When to Hire a Professional Plumber
Although it’s practical and more time- and cost-effective for homeowners to handle small plumbing projects, it’s best to call a professional plumber for many plumbing issues. By trusting a professional vs. attempting DIY plumbing, you can reduce property damages, have repairs performed using proper tools and industry equipment for lasting results and benefit from professional technical training.
If you experience the following issues, call your local licensed experts at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida:
- Installing a new water heater: Installing a new water heater can be hazardous, and it’s best to trust a professional to ensure safety and proper installation.
- Moving plumbing or fixtures: Relocating pipes and fixtures is a complicated process and often requires a permit. Without one , you may be fined and have to replace your updates.
- Broken pipes: Repairing broken pipes is an extensive project. With a professional plumber, you can identify the cause of the issue and understand the proper solutions.
- Bathroom or kitchen remodels: Like moving plumbing, extensive remodels often requires a permit, especially for plumbing projects.
Experiencing Extensive Plumbing Problems? Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida Today
When you need prompt, reliable plumbing services, don’t hesitate to reach out to the knowledgeable licensed plumbing experts at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida. Homeowners throughout the Oneida, NY, area trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing for all of their plumbing emergencies because of our ongoing dedication to providing affordable, reliable and effective plumbing services. Schedule professional plumbing repairs today by calling 315-363-1565, or fill out our online contact form to request a free project quote.