Dealing with residential plumbing issues is not only inconvenient, but it can also be very overwhelming for homeowners – especially when there is water damage involved. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, we treat these situations as an emergency, which is why we have trucks on the road day and night, ready to serve all of Clark County.
Quick Solutions for Emergency Plumbing Issues
If you notice any signs of a water leak, the first step is to shut off the main water supply immediately to prevent further damage from occurring. If you are unsure where to turn the water off, here are some possible locations.
To turn the water off to a Hose Bibb or Faucet:
Basement - The valve will most likely be within 5 feet of the pipe coming into the house, near the outside hose bibb or faucet.
No Basement - The valve will most likely be under the kitchen sink on the back wall.
Important Note - The valve in either of these locations could be a round knob-like handle or a thin straight handle. Turn the valve clockwise.
To turn off all water to the house:
Basement - The valve will most likely be on the wall that faces the water meter or the street. The valve will be between knee and head level. Turn the valve clockwise.
No Basement - The valve is within easy reach or five feet of the crawlspace hatch, in the garage, or in a cylinder outside near the wall closest to the water meter. If not in those locations, look near the water heater for a cylinder set in the floor. Turn the valve clockwise.
A last resort is to turn the water off at the meter box. Lift the meter box lid and expose the valve. Use a wrench to turn the valve clockwise.
If you are faced with a broken or burst pipe, call Mr. Rooter Plumbing. There’s never an overtime charge for night, weekend, or holiday service.
When experiencing an overflowing drain, Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Vancouver is the perfect choice for a fast and professional solution. Our drain cleaning experts provide 24/7 emergency service and can quickly clear blockages in your home's drain system.
Professional Water Damage & Restoration Services
Of course, our first priority is to prevent as much water damage as possible. But in any situation – whether it is a minor or large issue – we work closely with 1-800 Water Damage of Vancouver. They can handle any unexpected water, mold, or sewer damage. Count on these professionals to restore comfort, safety, and peace of mind.
How to Prevent Water Damage?
The key to preventing water damage issues is knowing the popular culprits. Here are the 4 most common causes of residential water damage:
- Appliances: Over time, as appliances get older, the connected pipes and hoses start to weaken, corrode, and fail. From dishwashers leaking on the kitchen floor to rubber hoses on the washing machine bursting, make sure to keep up on regular maintenance of your appliances.
- Leaky Pipes: Plumbing systems are all susceptible to wear and tear. If you see any signs of cracks, stains, moisture or mold on your ceiling or walls, it could mean there is a leak in a pipe. Other areas prone to leaks are crawl spaces, cabinets under sinks, and water heaters.
- Clogged Drains: When dealing with a backed-up drain – whether it’s from grease, hair, or a sewer line issue – it should be fixed promptly to avoid any larger problems. If left untreated, clogged drains can lead to sewage or wastewater overflowing into your home.
- Sump Pumps: Sump pump systems exist in some residential basements to move excess water through storm drains and rain drains. These installations help limit flooding, especially during times of heavy rain when the water table rises. Take these steps to ensure your sump pump is in good working condition:
- No clogs present in the discharge pipe.
- Power supply is properly working.
- Test the system by pouring several gallons into the sump pump until it fills to the top. Once the water hits a certain point, the float should trigger the sump pump to turn on.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, our licensed plumbers provide expert repair and replacement solutions for residential and commercial customers in Vancouver, WA, and surrounding areas. We handle everything from 24/7 drain cleaning to trenchless sewer line repairs.
Call today to schedule a convenient appointment - (360) 865-4952.