Causes of a Sewer Backup – Bay City, MI
A sewage backup in Bay City, Mi is caused by wastewater unable to drain due to a clog in the sewer lateral or damage to the main sewage line. When this happens, the water has no other option but to back up your pipes and cause a backup. This can be an incredibly distressing plumbing issue that requires a professional solution from experienced plumbers. Trying to fix it yourself with chemical cleaners won't help and may even do more harm than good. It's best to call Mr. Rooter for an inspection and diagnosis of the problem so we can identify the underlying cause and take appropriate measures to address it.
There are many ways in which these lines can become clogged or damaged:
- Tree root damage. Even if you don’t have trees in your yard, you could be experiencing a sewer backup thanks to someone else’s tree. Tree roots and shrub roots can travel an impressive distance and pierce your underground pipes.
- Flushing more than just toilet paper. The only thing that should ever go down your toilet is toilet paper. Hygiene products, such as sanitary napkins, are a big perpetrator of Bay City sewer backups. Another common cause is paper towels and flushable wipes, such as wet wipes. Although they are marketed as ‘flushable,’ they should never be disposed of in this way.
- Food waste and grease buildup from cooking oil and baking grease. Because sinks drain into the sewage pipe, the debris that goes down the drain can end up getting clogged in the main sewage line. Even if you’re careful, as the property owner of an older building, it's impossible to know what kinds of things were put down the drain before you acquired the building.
- Heavy rainfall or fast-melting snow can cause city sanitary systems to become flooded with water and debris. If the system becomes overloaded or clogged, excess water may flow backward into your home and trigger basement flooding.
- Incorrect plumbing connections. It’s both illegal and dangerous to connect your downspout, sump pumps, gutters, and French drains to the sanitary sewer, as it cannot handle that volume of water. These should be connected to the storm sewer instead.
- Old sewer lines. Sewer pipes have a limited lifespan, and many are now deteriorating. Cracks and breakages can cause seepage.
Clogs are generally less expensive to repair than damaged lines. Your local plumber in Bay City, MI, has the most effective tools required to unclog your sewer line and replace a broken pipe.
Our Bay City, MI Sewer Backup Service
A sewage backup can be an incredibly distressing plumbing issue, causing overflowing toilets and back-flow in unexpected places such as sinks, showers, and basement floor drains. It happens when black water travels up the pipes and causes a backup. Trying to fix it yourself is strongly discouraged as the use of chemical drain cleaners may do more harm than good. It's best to call experienced plumbing technicians from Mr. Rooter for an inspection and diagnosis of the problem.
The first step of our Bay City sewer backup appointment will be to inspect the issue at hand and diagnose its root cause. The course of action taken from this point forward will depend on what is identified as the core problem. Our team of highly-skilled, experienced plumbers will then use the appropriate technique to address your backup issue with precision and efficiency.
While trusty DIY solutions may seem like a tempting choice at first glance, they are simply not viable option if you want long-lasting results. Calling professional plumbing technicians such as Mr. Rooter is the only way to ensure that your sewage backup is dealt with effectively and efficiently - and that it stays fixed!
Drain Cleaning in Bay City, MI
If a clog is to blame, drain cleaning is usually the best option. The simplest way to unclog the drain involves using a plumber’s auger. An auger, also known as a drain snake, can be used to break and loosen up a clog. This will not clear out the clog completely but will allow water to flow again.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of The Tri Cities, our favorite way to clean out a clogged line is with our advanced HydroScrub® Jetting services. This method is fast, effective, and long-lasting, making it a great option for those who want to say goodbye to clogged pipes for good. Using extremely high water pressure, HydroScrub® will clear all residue from your lines.
If you're dealing with a damaged sewer pipe in Bay City, MI, trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing of The Tri Cities to get the job done. Our team can provide non-invasive and affordable repair solutions for your sewage pipe issues, including the use of tight sleeves to seal off problem sections and prevent them from leaking. We specialize in Bay City sewer backups and are committed to providing quality service at a fair cost - contact us today!
Hydraulic replacement is an ideal solution for pipes that are beyond repair with pipe relining. In this method, a new pipe is pulled through the existing damaged one, which is then broken apart with hydraulics to leave the new pipe in its place.
Sewer Line Replacement
If you're dealing with sewer pipe problems, trust Mr. Rooter Plumbing of The Tri Cities to provide you with the best service at a reasonable cost. We understand that replacing broken pipes can be expensive, so we do our best to look into cleanings and repairs before suggesting a replacement.
However, if it's necessary, we'll walk you through every step of the process and provide clear explanations of the problem so that you can make an informed decision. Let us help keep costs down while still giving you the quality service you deserve - contact us today!
With the Help of Mr. Rooter Plumbing of The Tri Cities, You can Prevent A Sewer Backup in Bay City, MI
Sometimes a sewer backup can’t be prevented. When the sanitary sewer (the main city sewer) clogs through no fault of your own, you may end up with wastewater backup in your home. However, there are plenty of other things you can do to prevent a sewer backup from occurring:
- Hire your local plumber in Bay City, MI, to perform a sewer inspection.
- Clear sewer lines out every five years with our HydroScrub® Jetting service.
- Avoid putting food waste and grease down the drain. Drain catches can be placed at the bottom of your sink to prevent an infuriating clogged sink.
- Look into getting sewer backup added on to your home insurance plan. You might be surprised to learn that property owners are fully responsible for the sewer lateral—not the city. Most basic home insurance plans don’t cover sewer backups, but they can be added on for a fairly low monthly cost.
- Install a backwater prevention valve. If water begins to flow up into the valve, it will automatically shut to prevent a serious raw sewage backup. Unfortunately, these valves don’t work with all sewage systems. Your local Bay City sewer backup plumber can provide an assessment to determine if a backwater valve is a good choice for you.
Why Choose Mr. Rooter of Bay City For Sewer Backup Services?
When you need help with a sewer line backup, trust the professionals of Mr. Rooter Plumbing of The Tri Cities. We attribute our success to our customer-focused values, quality workmanship, and experienced personnel who are always personable and friendly.
With upfront flat rate pricing that never charges overtime, we make sure you can get the peace of mind you deserve. And if we don't do the job right, we'll come back at no extra cost until it's perfect. Get reliable plumbing solutions and friendly service - contact us today!
With our guarantee that your needs will be met at a fair price when you choose us, there will be nothing to worry about.
Bay City, MI Sewer Backup – FAQs
Can a Main Sewer Line Unclog Itself?
Don't take the risk of trying to unclog your main line yourself! If you're not sure what caused the clog - a tree root, construction debris, etc. - call in a Bay City, MI expert plumber. They have the experience and equipment needed to safely and quickly get your drains flowing again. Take the guesswork out of clogs - and protect your home from costly damage - by calling an expert today.
How Often Should I Get My Sewer Line Inspected?
Get ahead of sewer line issues by having your lines inspected regularly! Every 5 to 10 years, depending on age and proximity to trees, is the recommended time frame. Older homes should have their lines checked more frequently than new builds - because they're more susceptible to problems. Don't wait until it's too late - invest in your peace of mind with a quality inspection today.
Can Sewage Backup into My Washing Machine?
Yes! Don't wait until you're dealing with the mess of a Bay City sewer backup! Our plumbing diagnosis and inspection services can help you identify potential problems and put preventative measures in place. That way, you can avoid any unpleasant situations that come from backups. We provide comprehensive services to make sure your home is safe from any unwelcome surprises. So call us today - and take the worry out of a possible sewer backup!
Book an Appointment for Sewer Backup with Mr. Rooter of The Tri Cities Today!
Are you worried about a potential sewer backup in your home in Bay City, MI? It's important to be aware of the signs, such as water leaks and damage. But rest assured you have the expertise of a licensed plumber at your disposal. Our friendly customer service reps are standing by, ready to answer all your questions and provide a reliable service quote based on your individual situation. Don't hesitate, to give us a call today!
We'll inspect your sewer line, as well as provide emergency services if necessary. With our help, you can keep the worries of a sewer backup at bay. We understand that dealing with sewer issues can be concerning and overwhelming; that's why we're here to provide efficient, high-quality assistance every step of the way - so contact us now for peace of mind.
Need professional plumbers in Bay City, MI? Call us today to book your service. We're available 24/7 and never charge for overtime.