In areas with hard water, the importance of maintaining a functional water softener cannot be overstated. Hard water, laden with excess minerals like calcium and magnesium, can wreak havoc on your laundry, showers, and even your drinking water. At Mr. Rooter® Plumbing, we understand the significance of a well-functioning water softener and offer water softener repair and replacement services that can help you maintain your water softness.
Signs Your Water Softener Needs Repair or Replacement
Water softeners typically operate behind the scenes, making it challenging to detect when they are malfunctioning. Recognizing the signs of hard water or a failing water softener is essential to determine whether you need repair or replacement. Some key indicators include:
1. Stiff or scratchy laundry
2. Inadequate lathering of soap
3. Accumulation of crusty deposits on faucets and drains
4. Altered or salty taste in your water
5. Noticeable water spots on dishes and silverware
6. Gradual decline in water pressure
7. Dry hair or an itchy scalp after showering
Water Softener Repair
When your water softener ceases to function as it should, immediate water softener repair is necessary to prevent the buildup of limescale and mineral deposits in your plumbing system. Whether you observe signs of hard water or notice unusual noises emanating from your water softener, our skilled professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing will arrive to resolve the issue promptly.
To diagnose and address your water softener problem effectively, we will:
1. Thoroughly clean the brine tank, the entry point for hard water into the system
2. Eliminate accumulated iron from the resin bed
3. Remove sediment buildup from the resin tank injector and bypass valves
4. Recalibrate the softener system and replenish it with salt
5. Utilize only OEM or equivalent replacement parts when needed
Our licensed service professionals possess extensive knowledge of various water softener makes and models, ensuring comprehensive service for a wide range of softener technologies.
Water Softener Replacement
In instances where your water softener is irreparable or has exceeded its lifespan, a replacement becomes the optimal solution. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, our experienced service providers specialize in efficient water softener replacement. If we determine that your water softener requires replacement, we will seamlessly install a new unit while handling the removal of the old one, sparing you the inconvenience.
Water Softener Repair FAQs
How does a water softener work?
A water softener removes calcium and magnesium from your water by filtering it through a mineral tank of resin beads charged with sodium ions. Ion exchange pulls calcium and magnesium into the resin, and sodium ions enter the water (but not in high enough numbers to make it taste salty). The brine tank of salt recharges the resin beads with more sodium ions.
How long do water softeners last?
Water softeners usually last between 10 and 15 years. However, a quality water softener can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance. To make your water softener last longer:
- Only use evaporated salt in your tank
- Flush your resin bed every few months
- Clean the venturi valve inside and out twice a year
What size water softener do I need?
To determine the size of the water softener you need, follow these steps:
- Get a water test that tells you your grains per gallon (GPG) water hardness value.
- Calculate daily water use in your home, either from your water bill or by multiplying the number of people in your home by 75 gallons a day.
- Multiply “daily water use x GPG value x 7” to find how many grains your system needs to filter out in a week.
- Find a softener rated for that number or above.