Why Should You Pay Attention to Your Drains?
It’s easy for homeowners in Beaverton or Southwest Portland, OR to take their drains for granted. That scenario can change instantly when you experience a clogged drain. The only job your drains have is to carry wastewater away from your house. That wastewater has particles of food, dirt, dust, soap, and other debris that slow down water flow and cause clogged drains. If you ignore a clogged drain, you may experience back-ups in your toilets, bathtubs, and sinks, as well as property damage and foul odors in and around your home. A problem with one of your drains can cause problems in other drains, so be sure to contact us at the earliest sign of a clogged drain.
Signs of a Clogged Drain
Some signs of clogged drains are fairly obvious, but others require more in-depth knowledge of plumbing systems. If the water stops flowing or becomes backed up, you likely have a clogged drain. Our professional plumbers clear clogged drains all the time and will inspect your drains before solving your problem promptly. We perform clogged drain repairs throughout the Portland area, so be sure to schedule an appointment if you notice any of the following signs of a clogged drain:
- Foul odors coming from drains
- Backed up toilets
- Soggy parts of your landscaping
- Bubbling sounds coming from toilets
- Puddles of water near your shower, bathtub, sink, or laundry appliances
- Sinks that drain slowly and gurgle
We Repair Multiple Types of Drains
All your home’s drains have essentially the same function, but each type is a bit different. Mr. Rooter Plumbing of West Portland offers professional clogged drain cleanings for many types of residential drains, including:
- Bathroom Drains – It’s not uncommon for bathroom drains to get clogged by all the household products we use, such as soap and toothpaste. Hair also clogs drains, so we recommend installing a drain cover for your bathroom sinks and bathtub. Run hot water while you brush your teeth because doing so can prevent toothpaste from hardening inside of your pipes.
- Kitchen Drains – The drains in your kitchen can easily become clogged by all the grease, food particles, and oil used in cooking. Avoid putting any oil or grease down your kitchen sink because they can harden inside your plumbing pipes. Do your best to avoid putting any bones, fibrous vegetables, or meat down the garbage disposal.
- Floor Drains – You may not be aware of them, but many homes have floor drains in basements, garages, and laundry rooms. These drains tend to get clogged by dust, dirt, leaves, and other types of debris. Clogged floor drains can lead to floor damage with time, so you should have them cleaned out by our professionals from time to time.
How to Determine if You Have a Clogged Drain
We recommend leaving the drain unclogging to our professionals, especially if you have a significant clog, such as from a tree root invasion. However, there are a few things homeowners can do to attempt to clear a minor clog. Try these steps and call us if you are not comfortable doing so:
- If your sink is draining slowly, prepare a pot or kettle of hot water. That water can clear a clogged drain that has been caused by hardened oils or fats.
- Pour the hot water into your drain carefully once most or all of the water has drained from the sink.
- Be sure to schedule routine drain inspections and cleaning as a preventative measure.
- Use a plunger and snake drain, starting with the plunger to relocate the clog to the top of the drain and then the snake to pull the clog out of the pipe.
- Throw away the clogged material in the trash, and be sure not to flush it back down the pipes.
- DIY solutions will not always work, especially for more significant clogs. Our professional plumbers have the equipment, experience, and expertise needed to unclog even the worst situations.
Schedule Drain Unclogging Today
Mr. Rooter Plumbing of West Portland is here to keep your home’s drains operating correctly. We offer preventative maintenance solutions designed to save you money, time, and hassle. Contact us today if you are experiencing a clogged drain, and we will be happy to provide you with a job estimate