8 Items That Can Cause Drain Issues
Clogged drains can be common if you consistently let foreign objects find their way into your plumbing system.
Here is a comprehensive list of items that can cause drain blockages:
- Hair: Hair is a common culprit of bathroom drain blockages. When hair accumulates over time, it can form clumps that prevent water from flowing freely down the drain. To prevent this, use a hair catcher or strainer to catch loose hairs before they go down the drain.
- Soap Scum: Soap scum is formed when soap mixes with water and minerals from hard water. It can build up over time and create a coating inside the pipes, leading to blockages. Drain cleaning services can help remove these obstructions.
- Grease and Oil: Grease and oil are often poured down kitchen sinks but can solidify and cause blockages. Instead, dispose of grease and oil in the garbage or let them cool and solidify before throwing them away in an air-tight container.
- Food Waste: Food scraps, such as coffee grounds, eggshells, and vegetable and fruit peelings can also cause drain blockages. Use a garbage disposal or compost bin to dispose of food waste and keep it out of your pipes.
- Flushable Wipes: While marketed as “flushable,” flushable wipes do not break down like toilet paper and can cause blockages in pipes and sewer systems. Avoid flushing any wipes down the toilet.
- Feminine Hygiene Products: Tampons and sanitary pads should never be flushed down the toilet, as they can cause blockages and damage to the plumbing system. Instead, dispose of them in the trash.
- Foreign Objects: Small items such as toys, jewelry, and other non-flushable objects could accidentally be dropped down a drain. As soon as you realize an item has gone down the drain, it is crucial to call a professional plumber in Kalispell for assistance.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can cause major blockages in a property’s main sewer line. Regular plumbing maintenance, such as inspections and cleaning, can help prevent root intrusion and potential damage to the system.
By being aware of these common items that can cause clogged drains and taking preventative measures, you can help avoid costly plumbing repairs. However, if a drain blockage occurs, it is best to call a professional plumber to fix the issue and prevent further damage.
Trust Our Kalispell Plumbers for Exceptional Support
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Kalispell, we strive to give you peace of mind when it comes to residential drain cleaning services. Our experienced emergency plumbers are here to help you get the most out of your investment by ensuring proper care and maintenance so your drainage system runs as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Request an estimate today and find out how we can help you keep your drains clear and blockage-free.