The New Year is about one thing — new beginnings. If you’re like 88% of the population, you’ve probably already made at least one resolution about something that you plan on changing this year. But have you thought about looking at the plumbing in your home a little differently? Here are five New Year's resolutions that you can make for your home.
1. Treat your garbage disposal better.
They'll last for years if you treat them right. But, when they stop working, you not only lose the garbage disposal, you lose the sink drain as well. Here are some ways to take care of the garbage disposal in your home.
- Grease is the enemy. Never pour grease down the drain. There are so many areas in your plumbing that grease can clog, including your disposal.
- Keep it clean. A disposal can trap odors over time. There are a few different ways to keep it clean and smelling fresh. One easy way is to slowly run a little vinegar through it on a weekly basis.
- It's not a trash can. Your disposal can handle small amounts of food waste, just don't go overboard.
2. Lower your water use.
Curb your water use by:
- Taking shorter showers.
- Taking showers instead of baths.
- Running the dishwasher (so long as it’s full) instead of hand washing dishes.
3. Upgrade to energy efficient appliances.
Not only will you get to enjoy all of the new features, but they will also save you money on your monthly utility bill.
4. Protect your drains.
Use drain covers over open drains in sinks, tubs, and showers to prevent hair and other things from falling down and causing a clog.
5. Check for water leaks.
Leaks aren't always obvious or easy to find. If your water bill seems to suddenly spike without reason, it may be because of a leak in the wall.
For all of your home's plumbing needs, give Mr. Rooter a call today. Our team of dedicated professionals will show you how we have earned our reputation of providing the most prompt, efficient service available in the southeast Wisconsin area!