Don’t Neglect to Consider Your Drain
Most people assume that plumbing problems are limited to clogs, backups, leaks, and sewer issues. One symptom of poor plumbing that many homeowners overlook is the presence of fruit flies. If you are constantly hearing the buzz of fruit flies inside your home, there is likely an underlying plumbing problem. Unfortunately, fruit flies like to dwell, feast, and reproduce in drains, pipes, and sinks. If this is the case, you might need a professional plumber to come to the rescue! Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Pomona Valley is ready to be your local and reliable solution!
How to Prevent Fruit Flies
If your counters and cabinets are clean yet you’re constantly swatting fruit flies, the chances are high they are coming from your sink’s drain. Fruit flies are attracted to moist areas with organic matter – making drainage systems an ideal sanctuary. Fruit flies love to feast on decomposing food in your drain system. This is especially true if your drain is backed up or clogged.
To make matters worse, the moisture in drains creates a fertile environment for laying eggs. The good news is there are several ways to eliminate fruit flies from your kitchen and bathroom. Some solutions might require professional assistance, but there are many that you can do yourself.
Steps you can take to remove fruit flies from your plumbing system include:
- Buy a drain cover – Fruit flies most often enter drainage systems through kitchen and bathroom sinks. Therefore, installing a drain cover is a great way to keep them out in the first place.
- Rinse out your drains and sinks – Regularly flushing your drains with hot water and bleach (or acidic white vinegar if you prefer a natural alternative) is a great way to flush out fruit flies and their eggs. If your drain gets clogged with gunk and debris, we recommend hiring our team for a comprehensive drain cleaning service.
- Avoid peeing while you shower – Yes, this tip is a little gross – we apologize for that. At the same time, it is valuable advice. Urine is known to attract fruit flies and pests. Make a wise decision and avoid this small convenience. Using a toilet instead and keeping the toilet seat clean can make a difference in keeping fruit flies away.
- Inspect for leaks – If there are signs of dampness anywhere in your house, you may have an undetected leak. Besides attracting fruit flies, leaks can also cause water damage, mold, and other issues. Our experienced plumbers can detect leaks hidden under floorboards, walls, and basements/attics. We will investigate all pipes, including those underneath sinks and toilets.
Avoid Over-the-Counter Drain Cleaner
We suggest avoiding the quick yet shortsighted option of using a store-bought drain cleaner to clear a clogged drain. Sure, over-the-counter products may deliver short-term results. Unfortunately, they can also create worse problems in the long run due to the corrosive properties of their harsh chemicals.
Recurring use of drain cleaners can:
- Eat away at pipes
- Cause cracks and leaks
- Melt your pipe’s adhesives
- Expose your family to health risks by releasing chemical fumes
- Negatively impact the environment
- Deliver erratic and inconsistent results
Rely On One of Our Plumbing Professionals
If the DIY approaches we recommended prove to be ineffective at eliminating fruit flies, our emergency plumbers at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Pomona Valley can come to the rescue. In fact, we recommend skipping the hassle of trial and error altogether. By depending on our professional plumbers to combat fruit flies swarming around your kitchen or bathroom, you can save yourself time and money.
Our team will promptly schedule an appointment, quickly diagnose the situation, and offer an upfront price estimate. Once hired, we will thoroughly clean your pipes and drains with cutting-edge equipment. Our goal is to clear out your plumbing system entirely – removing flies and eggs for good. Utilizing industry-grade tools and best-in-class techniques, we aren’t satisfied until the last fruit fly is gone.
Give us a call at (909) 303-6251 or contact us online anytime to schedule an appointment!