As trusted plumbers in Torrance, we've seen our fair share of clogged drains. Why? They're by far the most common plumbing problems homeowners face.
But, while this may be the case, they're also one of the easiest plumbing problems to prevent. With a little planning, TLC, and a professional plumbing and drain company like Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Torrance by your side, you can stop clogged drains from happening in the first place.
Let's take a look at some of the common causes of clogged drains and, most importantly, how to prevent them from happening:
Common Causes of Clogged Drains
We're not kidding about clogs being a common part of owning a plumbing system. Even the cleanest home can experience them from time to time. Some of the most common causes of clogs include:
- Hair – Hair clogs are a common problem in bathroom sinks and showers because they can easily catch onto drains and gunk. You should brush your hair before showering or shave outside the shower to avoid hair buildup in your drains.
- Grease and Oil – Pouring grease and oil down your kitchen drain is a big no-no. These materials can stick to the pipes and cause a buildup that will eventually lead to a clog. It'll also stop other things that go down your drain, leading to an even more severe clog.
- Foreign Objects – It's amazing how many foreign objects make their way down drains! Toys, jewelry, sanitary products, and other objects can easily cause a clog. Be sure to keep these away from open drains.
- Tree Roots & Pests – Tree roots can seep into the lines of your plumbing system and cause a blockage. Pests like rats can also make their way into the system through even the smallest crack in your pipe and cause a blocked drain.
- Damaged Plumbing – An accumulation of debris and blockages can occur when your pipes deteriorate or have been exposed to constant soil shifts. Aging pipes become weak over time, accumulating debris until a clog is formed. Your plumbing will need to be repaired or replaced as well as cleaned to get things restored.
How to Prevent Clogged Drains
Now that you know some of the common causes of clogged drains let’s look at how to prevent them from happening in the first place. Some of our recommended methods of preventing clogged drains include:
Use Drain Screens to Catch Debris
Installing drain screens is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to reduce your chance of clogs forming. They can be placed over the drain to catch hair, soap scum, food particles, and other materials before entering your pipes.
Just make sure they are cleaned regularly. Otherwise, they can become clogged as well.
Be Mindful of What You Put Down Your Drains
One of the best things you can do for your drains is to be careful what you choose to flush away via your toilet, bathroom sink, or garbage disposal; they are not trash cans. Over time, items and debris from those items will build up in your pipes and cause clogs, often deep in your system.
Be mindful of what you put down the drain - if something doesn’t belong there, don’t chance it!
Flush Pipes with Hot Water Regularly
While it's no substitute for regular drain cleaning, flushing your drains with hot water regularly can help keep them clear of built-up grease and debris. The hot water helps to break down some of the fatty material that accumulates in your pipes over time, making it easier to flush away.
Additionally, it should dislodge smaller clogs before they turn into anything severe. And before you pop open that mysterious bottle of drain cleaner found under your sink, don't – it can create further complications in your system.
Skip Drain Cleaners & Stay Natural
Drain cleaners can often cause more harm than good, as they use chemical reactions in your pipes that could damage them. Furthermore, drain cleaners aren't good at completely removing all debris on the walls of your drains, meaning a clog is bound to return.
Instead, try using vinegar and baking soda as a natural way to clear away clogs and blockages for temporary relief until you can schedule a professional drain cleaning service.
Schedule Routine Cleanings with a Professional Plumbing Company
And last but certainly not least, call a professional plumbing company like Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Torrance for routine drain cleanings and plumbing maintenance.
Taking the time and investing in properly maintaining your plumbing system will help it run more efficiently, prevent bigger clogs from forming, and save you money in the long run.
Turn to Our Plumbers for Torrance Drain Cleaning
With decades of both national and local experience backing our residential plumbing and drain company in Torrance, CA, it's safe to say that Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Torrance knows a thing or two about drains and clogs.
Our plumbers are trained to identify and resolve all plumbing issues quickly and efficiently, offering their expertise in helping you prevent clogged drains before they become a major problem. Whether you need drain cleaning, clog removal, or a video camera inspection to get a better idea of what's going on with your system, we're here to help at a moment’s notice.
With our commitment to customer service excellence and reliable solutions, you can rest assured that your problem will be solved quickly and correctly by a trusted team of local plumbers and drain cleaners.
Contact us today for drain cleaning services in Torrance and get on the road to preventing clogged drains!