If you reside in Everett, WA, and you have issues with drains that clog during the rainy season, summer is a wonderful time to get them checked. Mr. Rooter can come and make sure you have cleared drains that are ready for next year. Once you know your plumbing is in excellent condition, there are some things you can do to keep your pipes clear, so you don’t have to worry about slow drains and clogs as much.
- Avoid pouring grease down your sink. Oil can solidify against the walls of your pipes and cause clogs.
- Paint is just like grease and can harden once it is in your drain. Paint is harder to get out of a pipe than oil, so consider disposing of it in a different way than in your home’s plumbing system. The county or city of Everett can help you find the proper place to dispose of paint and paint thinner.
- Cover the drains in your bathrooms with screen covers. These screens help combat hair going down the drains and clogging them. Clean your covers as needed.
- Chemicals are harmful to your pipes and hazardous to the environment. Dispose of chemicals properly and avoid liquid chemical drain cleaners. These harsh cleaners can eat away at your pipes and cause more harm than good.
- Clean the stoppers for your sink and bathtub regularly, so your drains stay odor free, and the collected debris doesn’t fall down your pipes.
- Create rules for what can and can’t go down drains and through the garbage disposal. Posting them in the bathroom and kitchen areas will remind everyone in your home and visitors to take care of the plumbing.
- Avoid putting the wrong things in your garbage disposal and overloading it. Run a lot of cold water as you load small pieces of food into the disposal. The cold water keeps the disposal from overheating and helps keep it lubricated.
- Use a plunger and hot water to see if you can loosen a slow drain. If this doesn’t work, call Mr. Rooter in Everett to get plumbing help right away.