To read more blogs, click here.
How to Sterilize Your Dishwasher
A clean dishwasher is important for keeping your dishes clean, but also for keeping your family safe and happy. Stuck-on debris can make your dishwasher smell funky, and can transport the smell all through your kitchen. Read and follow these steps to properly clean and sanitize your dishwasher.
These cleaning instructions will show you exactly how to remove any buildup from the dishwasher:
- Remove the filter from your dishwasher and soak it in your kitchen sink filled with hot water and soap.
- Remove any movable parts in the dishwasher. Put the silverware holder in the sink after the filter with some hot water and soap to clean off the grime.
- Take out the lower rack of the dishwasher. Inspect the bottom of the appliance for any hidden food chunks, damage or silverware wedged under the heating element.
- Wipe the drain clean with a soft cloth and replace the bottom rack.
- Choose the hottest and the longest setting for your dishwasher. If it has an automatic clean cycle, use that. Hit the start button. Once the dishwasher starts running, open the door and pour in two cups of vinegar. Let it sit for a half hour.
- Use a small brush like a toothbrush to scrub the appliance. Pay special attention to the drain, the corners, the gasket on the door and the soap dispensers. Remove any debris.
- Once you have scrubbed everything, close the door and let the cycle finish. If it still doesn’t look clean after the whole cycle, there is a chance it needs a second run, especially if this is your first time.
Benefits of a Clean Dishwasher
Not only does a clean dishwasher look nice, it also has some added benefits. A clean dishwasher allows the water to flow through the drains and the jets with no problems. This can help to prolong the life of your dishwasher, avoiding burnout of the motor and heating elements. It also smells better and will produce cleaner dishes after running a typical cycle.
Your dishwasher works hard. Show it some love every once in a while with a good clean out. If you are experiencing problems with your dishwasher, give Mr. Rooter Houston a call. We’ll be happy to come out and help you get to the bottom of your plumbing problems.