While most of us aren’t quite ready to get outside and get the spring cleaning tasks started – and with good reason – there are several pre-spring cleaning tasks that can get done this time of year that will make the official spring cleaning tasks go much faster.
For others, it means putting away bad habits and starting new ones. While most resolutions are made at the beginning of the year, by this time of year many of us have forgotten what those resolutions were and why we made them.
Spring is a great time for reacquainting yourself with your resolutions and recommitting to accomplishing them. One resolution that is especially important to recommit to is water conservation. This is an essential habit that we should always be improving because every bit of improvement means a savings of water and of money.
Here are some great and easy ways that you and your family can save water:
- If you don’t have a dishwasher, use a basin of water to wash and rinse your dishes rather than allowing the water to run while you are washing dishes.
- As you are rinsing produce, fill a basin with water to soak them in with some white vinegar rather than allowing the water to run from the faucet and rinse them.
- Keep filtered drinking water in the refrigerator instead of always running the tap until it cools for a glass of water.
- Consider planting landscaping that doesn’t require watering. Many homes are foregoing planting a lawn because the amount of water that is saved is so significant.
- Add a layer of mulch around the base of your trees and shrubs so that the water will soak-in and stay in the soil. The mulch will protect against the water evaporating from the little bit of sunshine.
Spring cleaning can be a very fun and cathartic time of year because it is when the adage “out with the old and in with the new” really comes into play. For many, this means putting the flannel linens away and going through that corner of the garage that got formed after Christmas. No matter which boat you’re in, make sure to add water conservation to your to-do list.