Drain Cleaning in Richmond, KY
Licensed Plumbers Near You
Most people expect to deal with clogged drains every once in a while. From kitchen sinks to bathtubs, our drains see consistent use on a day-to-day basis. Even the most careful property owner will run into clogged drains.
How Do I Know if My Drains Are Clogged?
The best way to know if your drains are clogged is to measure how fast the water drains in your sink or shower. For example, normal drains usually allow water to fall immediately into the drain. Severe clogs prevent any water from draining at all, which is when you have a serious problem.
Why Drains Clog
Most clogs are caused by a combination of organic debris, soaps, and fats. The best way to prevent them is to use hair catchers or strainers. These tools allow you to dispose of hair and organic debris before they head down the drain.
Here are some other objects that should never be allowed in your drains:
- Coffee grounds
- Kitty litter
- Fats, oils, & grease
- Produce stickers
- Paper towels
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- Feminine hygiene products
For example, in a kitchen sink, substances such as fats tend to cool and harden in the pipe. This allows other organic matter to collect around it, causing a clog. Similarly, soap from the shower will combine with human hair to form clogs. Thus, making it hard for water to drain out of your bathtub or shower.
What Is the Best Way to Unclog Drains?
Most people’s first instinct is to use caustic drain cleaner from a store to solve a clogged drain issue. However, we strongly recommend against using your average drain cleaner. These types of cleaners work by melting the debris within the drain to clear the clog.
The problem is the drain cleaner can’t distinguish between organic matter and your pipes. If your pipes are old, the drain cleaner will likely eat through those pipes. This will cause further damage to your property.
DIY Drain Cleaner Methods
- Enzyme Drain Cleaner: Enzyme drain cleaners are organic substances made up of non-corrosive enzyme-based formulas. These products use bacteria and enzymes to eat through any organic matter in your drains. These products tend to be more expensive and slower than your typical drain cleaner. But they are much safer to use on your pipes, and some are nontoxic. However, these substances are best used before your drain clogs, not after. They’re a great preventative measure against the formation of many clogs. But once the clog forms, you’ll need other means to get rid of it.
- Boil Water: Once your drain clogs, the first thing you should try is pouring boiling water down the drain. You can do this every few weeks to prevent drain clogs as well. Hot water will melt any soaps or fats sitting in your drain. This allows them to liquefy and proceed further down your line and into the sewer.
- Snake: If that still doesn’t clear the issue, the next step is to snake your drain. You can do this with an old wire hanger or by getting an inexpensive drain snake from your local hardware store. A drain snake will dislodge and pull out any material in your drains. You can pull out as much debris as possible and throw it in the garbage can to dispose of it. This step tends to be gross and messy, but it gets the job done.
- Call a Licensed Plumber: If all else fails, call a professional plumber in Richmond, KY, to get your drains cleaned ASAP. Professional plumbers have the technology to identify where the clog is.
How Much Does It Cost to Clean Out a Drain?
The cost of drain cleaning in Richmond will vary but will usually range between $100 and $400. The more complex the drain cleaning, the more expensive it will be. For example, a simple bathroom sink clog could take less than 30 minutes to fix. This will usually be on the less expensive side of things.
However, if your toilet is clogged, that takes more time, meaning the service will cost more. Additionally, tree roots can sometimes cause severe clogs in your main sewer line. If the clog in your main sewer line requires complete sewer line repair, this can cost $800 or more to fix.
Professional Drain Cleaning in Richmond
Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Richmond KY is familiar with the plumbing systems throughout the Richmond, KY, area. From simple clogs to tree root intrusion, we can handle it all. Check out our customer review page for more information about our team from our past clients, or contact us online to schedule a service today.