When you’re in a rush and all of a sudden your toilet starts acting up, it can be tempting to just grab some of the chemical drain cleaners sitting under your sink. But did you know that chemical cleaners may be doing more harm than good?
The Danger of Chemical Cleaners
Chemical cleaners seem like a good idea in a pinch, but they can actually have a lot of side effects, including:
- Damaged pipes. Chemical cleaners don’t just attack the clog — they strip everything they touch, including the lining of your pipes. Over time and with enough use, chemical cleaners can erode the inside of your pipes and leave them susceptible to cracks.
- Water pollution. Once you flush the toilet, have you ever thought about where those chemicals go? The chemicals found in household cleaners have been known to show up in nearby waters.
- Toxic fumes. Because these cleaners rely on harsh chemicals to get the job done, they can be dangerous for you, your children, or your pet to breathe in.
Alternative to Chemical Cleaners
Looking for safer and more eco-friendly ways to keep your plumbing clear? We suggest:
- Natural alternatives. Baking soda and white vinegar can be used to eliminate some of the most stubborn clogs.
- Hydroscrub jetting. Hydroscrub jetting is a fast, effective, and reliable drain cleaning service that leaves your plumbing system flowing smoothly and efficiently again.
- Regular maintenance. The best way to deal with a plumbing problem is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Even if you think your plumbing is running just fine, regular inspections can find small problems before they turn into major headaches.
Mr. Rooter Plumbing has been assisting homeowners with their plumbing issues for decades, and our expertise is unmatched! To learn more, give us a call at (415) 906-2456 or fill out our form!