It’s one of those things that everyone has a strong opinion on — baths or showers? Lifelong bath takers will usually tell you there’s nothing more relaxing than a warm bath, while shower-lovers argue the ease of a quick shower makes it the ideal choice.
When it really comes down to it, both will leave you feeling squeaky clean, however, there are arguments to be made for each.
A bathtub is likely better if:
- You have little kids. Bathing little kids in a standing shower is nearly impossible. A bathtub makes it easier to clean off your little ones without getting water everywhere.
- You plan to sell soon. Typically, buyers prefer bathrooms with tubs because they’re planning on having children in the future. If they do have children, now they won’t have to install a tub themselves.
- Your bathroom is large. Does it feel like you have wasted floor space in your bathroom? If so, a luxurious tub may be what it needs.
- You want to enjoy special features. Standing showers are relatively limited. However, a bathtub can be customized with jets and seats.
A shower might be the right choice if:
- You live alone. If you’re single and don’t have plans of moving anytime soon, a standing shower may be the best way to optimize space.
- You’re elderly or physically disabled. Stepping over a large tab wall can be dangerous for elderly people, those not very steady on their feet, or who live in a wheelchair. A walk-in shower is likely much safer and easier to maneuver.
- Your bathroom is small. The average tub is around 5 feet long and 3 feet wide — a sizeable addition to a small bathroom. However, a walk-in shower is usually 2 feet by 2 feet. Converting a tub to a shower could allow for more counter and storage space.
- You’re looking to conserve water. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average bathtub needs 60 - 70 gallons of water before it’s full. However, a 5 - 10 minute shower requires between 10 - 30 gallons of water.
Whether your tub or shower is experiencing issues, give Mr. Rooter of Central PA a call today!