To read more blogs, click here.
Tips for Conserving Water Throughout Your Home
Every year, Californians must deal with water management issues. Residents of San Diego are looking for ways they can cut water us in their homes. At Mr. Rooter of San Diego, we understand and want to help our customers in any way we can. To that end, we compiled a list of recommended changes you can enact at home to cut down your water use.
Water Conservation: Kitchen
To save water in the kitchen, follow these tips:
- Never run a dishwasher unless it’s full. Handwashing does not save on water use.
- New dishwashers do not need a pre-rinse on dishes. If you have an older one, consider upgrading to cut water use.
- Install a water aerator on your faucet to cut down water use by up to a gallon a day, and fix leaks immediately.
- Get cold water by keeping a pitcher in the refrigerator.
Water Conservation: Bathroom
Follow these tips to conserve water in the bathroom:
- Install a low-flow shower head, cutting water use from 2.5 gallons per minute to 1.5.
- Keep your toilet tank parts in working order. Avoid using cleaning tablets that break down these parts.
- Shut the water off when brushing teeth or shaving.
- Fill baths to halfway, if you can’t give them up entirely for showers. Cut shower length by washing smarter and multitasking.
- Use standing water in your sink to rinse razors or shave in the shower.
Water Conservation: Outdoors
Practice these methods to save water outdoors:
- Water plants early in the morning to prevent evaporation and wasted watering time.
- Automate your sprinklers and inspect regularly to ensure optimal watering.
- Change plants out for drought-resistant varieties.
- Use mulch to help keep water around roots.
- Wash your car using a bucket and soap and limit use of the hose.
- Install a rain barrel to help water plants.
Residents of San Diego who want to take their water conservation to the next level should give Mr. Rooter of San Diego a call today to schedule an appointment. We can sit down with you and plan your improved, more water-efficient plumbing system.