San Bernardino, California’s Clogged Drain Cleaning Experts
A Guide to Residential Clogged Drain Cleaning
Clogged drains can disrupt the flow of your daily routine. From washing dishes to taking a shower, you rely on your drains to flow freely. When your drains become clogged, it can be difficult to know the severity of the issue. The most effective way to clear a clogged drain is to get the assistance of a qualified service professional. Mr. Rooter® Plumbing of San Bernardino offers clogged drain cleaning services in San Bernardino, California. Our team performs residential drain cleaning services that stop slow-draining sinks, gurgling toilets, and foul odors coming from drains. Learn more about our clogged drain cleaning services!
How Drains Become Clogged
It is easy to take your home’s drains for granted when they are flowing freely. Once a drain is clogged, it becomes apparent that your home’s plumbing system is more complicated than it initially seemed. So, how does your home’s drainage system become clogged? Many things can clog it. Your drains are responsible for carrying wastewater away from your home. Wastewater commonly has debris in it, like dust, dirt, food soap, grease, and oils. Over time, all this particulate matter accumulates in your pipes and forms a clog.
The Signs of a Clogged Drain
Not all clogs completely obstruct the flow of wastewater. In fact, smaller clogs are more common, yet they can still compromise the performance of your plumbing by slowing down the flow of your drains. The best time to get clogged drain cleaning services is before a total blockage. When dealing with home plumbing, drain cleaning services can prevent clogs from ever stopping your flow. You can identify a clog by looking for the following signs:
- Unpleasant smells coming from your drains
- Toilets that are backing up
- Gurgling noises coming from toilets
- Sinks that drain slowly and make bubbling noises
- Wet and soggy sections of your lawn
- Puddles found on the floor around bathtubs, sinks, showers, and laundry appliances
We Clear Clogs From Any Drain
While all drains serve the same purpose, there are actually many different drains around your home. Each of them has a different design. As a result, we need to use different techniques to clear clogs in each type of drain. The most common types of drains and the reasons they become clogged include:
- Bathroom Drains – Bathtubs, toilets, and bathroom sink drains handle a lot of debris, from toothpaste to hair. These forms of wastewater are prime culprits for clogging drains. To reduce the likelihood of clogging these drains, install a simple drain cover in your bathtub to catch hair. It is also helpful to run hot water while brushing your teeth to prevent toothpaste from hardening in the pipes.
- Kitchen Drains – Kitchen sink drains have to handle oil, grease, and small pieces of food. No matter how vigilant you are about these problems, this kitchen waste will eventually build up in your drain. Oil and grease clogs are widespread problems because they turn into thick gunk that cannot be easily washed away.
- Floor Drains – You may have floor drains in your garage, basement, or laundry room. As water passes over the floor of these areas, it picks up all sorts of dirt, dust, and debris. These particles are known to clog drains. When your floor drains become clogged, you can experience flooding in areas that rely on them.
Mr. Rooter® Plumbing of San Bernardino’s Clog-Clearing Tips
We always recommend calling a professional when you need help with a clogged drain. However, we realize that sometimes you need to get your drain flowing right away. Chemical drain cleaners can damage pipes, and taking apart plumbing on your own is not recommended. However, you can try a few simple things at home if you need to deal with a clogged drain. The easiest way to attack your clogged drain is with the following steps:
- If you have a slow-flowing drain, let it drain until it is empty. At the same time, boil a pot of water. Hot water is very effective at breaking up clogs, especially in kitchen and bathroom sinks. The heat can break up hardened oil and grease. Once the sink is empty, pour the hot water down it. You may need to repeat this process a few times to get the sink flowing freely.
- A sink and plunger are two of the most reliable plumbing tools. When used together, they can get rid of the most annoying clogs. Use a sink plunger to pull the clog closer to the drain. Once the clog has moved as close as possible toward the drain, use the snake to retrieve the clog one piece at a time.
- While these plumbing tricks help clear a clogged drain in a pinch, you still need help from service professionals. Clogs are usually a sign of a deeper problem, like insufficient maintenance or even tree root intrusion on your underground pipes.
Schedule a Clogged Drain Cleaning Appointment!
Mr. Rooter Plumbing of San Bernardino is committed to busting clogs and keeping your drains flowing freely. We have been serving the members of the San Bernardino community for years, providing the most reliable drain cleaning services found in the area. That is because we are committed to our customers. We provide clear explanations of all services and provide upfront pricing, explaining drain cleaning service costs ahead of time. Schedule a clogged drain cleaning appointment today!