If you need to call for emergency plumbing services because of a clog in your plumbing system, then you may have water damage or sewage backing up into your Seattle, WA, home. Call Mr. Rooter this fall to have your drains checked so that you can avoid burst pipes or a sewer line problem in the winter.
- One of the best ways to avoid a major clog is to start fresh with drain cleaning services. Once your drains are clear and there isn’t an immediate threat of a big clog in your plumbing system, start putting together a few rules for the plumbing system in your household.
- Take care of your toilets by avoiding things that will cause clogging. These items that cause clogging are flushable wipes, thick toilet paper, an excessive amount of toilet paper, feminine products, and small toys or objects accidentally dropped in the toilet.
- Install hair traps in your bathtubs and showers. You can also install sink strainers in your kitchen and bathroom sinks so that nothing goes down your drains that aren’t liquid. These precautions are simple, cheap, and highly effective for avoiding clogs.
- Make sure that your garbage disposal works well and is used correctly. Run cold water before, during, and after you use the garbage disposal. Only put small pieces of soft food in your garbage disposal, so it doesn’t overheat because it is overloaded. Avoid fibrous foods, potato peels, rice, pasta, coffee grounds, nuts, chicken, bones, seeds, and putting trash in your garbage disposal.
- As soon as you notice gurgling or a slow drain, call a plumber to have it fixed. Then, you won’t have a total clog or the risk of damage to your home because of water or sewage.
- Schedule regular preventative maintenance services.
- When you have events, be sure to hang reminders by sinks and toilets so people remember what should and shouldn’t go down the drains!
- If you live in an older home, consider having your plumbing system replaced so you can benefit from a newer plumbing system.