As temperatures lower and the fall season begins in Seattle, inspecting your home plumbing system will help you stay well-prepared for the winter months ahead. Checking your plumbing in the early fall months gives you the benefit of having the time to schedule repairs and replacements before the holidays and colder months.
- Inspect your outside faucets and disconnect the water hoses. Leaving them connected can cause the other pipes inside your home to freeze during the coldest weather.
- Check the faucets inside and outside of your home to make sure there aren’t any leaks or dripping water.
- Have your water heater flushed to remove any built-up sediment. Flushing the tank allows you to have the best efficiency in the coldest months. Consider insulating your water heater and pipes to let it have maximum effectiveness.
- Check all the pipes in your home to make sure they don’t leak. If there are leaks, have them checked and sealed by a professional. You may want to insulate your pipes if they aren’t in a well-heated area.
- If you plan to go on an extended vacation during the fall or winter months, make sure your main water valve is off and you’ve drained all the faucets in your home. You can also shut off your water heater to make sure that it is safe while you are gone.
- Check the gutters and the perimeter of your home to make sure that water won’t flow into your home from damaged or clogged gutters.
- Have your sewer line and drains cleaned if you haven’t already done it this year. Cleaning your drains helps control clogs and prevent sewage from backing up into your pipes.
- Check your walls and foundation for any cracks or holes that need sealing. Making sure there aren’t drafty areas in your home will help keep the heat inside, so you don’t have to worry about pipes freezing as much.
- A professional can help you with preventative maintenance for all the plumbing in your home so that you don’t have to worry about being ready for the rainy season.
About the Author: Vincent Sposari, Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Seattle
Vinnie has been a trusted plumber since 1989 and a Mr. Rooter owner since 1992. With over 31 years to back him, Vinnie has experience with a wide range of plumbing related solutions and systems. He and his team specialize in plumbing repairs, drain cleaning, emergency plumbing, and more.