The Importance of Repairing Frozen Pipes
Many homeowners underestimate the importance of repairing frozen pipes immediately. In reality, a frozen pipe is an urgent problem. As the water inside your pipes freezes it will expand, but since it is frozen, it has nowhere to go. The freezing water can amount to more than 3,000 PSI of pressure pushing on your pipe, sometimes even causing it to bulge. Eventually, this pressure will cause your pipe to split or even burst. When the water begins to flow again, the burst section of the pipe will start pouring water into your home, potentially causing thousands of dollars in property damage. A burst pipe can release four to eight gallons of water every minute. That means 100 gallons of water can flood your home in just over 12 minutes. This is why you need to call a team of experts at the first sign of a frozen pipe.
How Do You Know When Your Pipes Are Frozen
It is not easy for the average homeowner to identify a frozen pipe. It really pays to be aware of the symptoms of a frozen pipe, though. You don’t want to discover that your pipes are frozen by one of them bursting. If you suspect that your pipes are frozen, call Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Westchester NY, and we will help you figure out whether your pipes are frozen or if it is some other issue. Some of the common symptoms of a frozen pipe include the following:
- Bulging or cracking pipes
- Pipes that have frost covering the outside of them
- It suddenly seems like you have clogged drains
- Drains and faucets that begin emitting an unpleasant odor
- No water is coming from your faucets, or there is a reduction in the water pressure
- Whistling, banging, or bubbling sounds coming from pipes and drains
- Water spots, dampness, and puddles on drywall or ceilings
- Any plumbing issues that occur at the same time as a severe winter weather event
Tips for Preventing Frozen Pipes
While Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Westchester NY has one of the best frozen pipe repair teams in the business, we hope you never need us to repair a frozen pipe for you. The best way to deal with potential pipe freezes is to avoid letting them happen in the first place. There is no guaranteed method to prevent frozen pipes. Depending on the configuration of your plumbing system and the extent of the cold weather, any home can experience frozen pipes. Some tips that we give homeowners for preventing frozen pipes include:
- When freezing weather is coming, leave a faucet running a little, trickling out some water. This keeps the water in your pipes flowing, which can prevent them from freezing.
- Try to keep your entire home as warm as possible. It is especially important to leave cabinet doors under your sink open, allowing the pipes underneath the get some warm air.
- Place a fan near the pipes that are most likely to freeze to circulate warm air around them.
- Place seals and weather strips on windows, basement doors, and crawlspaces to keep the cold air out of your home.
- Install pipe insulation on any external pipes or pipes that will be exposed to cold temperatures.
- Before winter, disconnect all hoses and sprinklers from your outdoor spigots and drain the water from them.
Schedule a Frozen Pipe Repair Appointment Today!
The idea of your pipes freezing can be intimidating, but don’t let it ruin your enjoyment of this upcoming winter season. We are the team you are looking for when you begin to search for frozen pipe repairs near me. Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Westchester NY offers frozen pipe repair services in Westchester, Larchmont, and Scarsdale, NY. We have a customer-focused philosophy that makes all plumbing services easy to understand. We offer competitive prices and explain all frozen pipe repair costs ahead of time. Schedule your frozen pipe repair appointment now!