With our Rolls of Love promotion running in February, it made me think of the large roll bathrooms play in our daily lives. From an early age it is a central part of our lives as well as the house with bath time and brushing your teeth. And for those of you with young children, toilet training can be such a big undertaking. I wonder how many countless hours parents spend in their bathrooms helping their children brush their teeth or potty training.
While we didn't have the Internet when I was raising my kids, there are now a lot of tips and advice available to assist you in this rewarding, but at times frustrating, right of passage for your young ones. Once your child is ready follow some of these ideas:
- Explain what the toilet is for.
- Celebrate small victories with rewards such as stickers.
- Put food colouring in the toilet bowl to maintain interest.
- Read potty training books geared to children.
- Be patient - all children move at a different pace.
- Set a timer to give the toilet a try each hour.
- Look at musical toilet training potties.
- Make flushing fun to complete a job well done.
- Set up targets to make it fun - cheerios work great!
- Be understanding of setbacks - could be a new baby in the house?
- Praise your child for a job well done!
Here's wishing you a world class day!