- If your home has a basement or crawlspace, the valve is probably on a subterranean wall near the front of the house.
- If your home is built on a slab, the valve is most likely located near the water heater or in the garage.
- If you can't locate the shut off valve in the interior of your home, look near the street and see if you can find a covered box buried in the ground called the water meter box.
- If you can't find the shut off valve in any of these locations, call your local Mr. Rooter plumber.
The Tools you Will Need
Different types of valves have different tool requirements:
- Simply turn the handle clockwise with your hand.
- Meter key for a meter box located outside the home.
- Crescent wrench and screwdriver if you don't want to purchase a meter key.