Water Heater Types & Routine Maintenance
In preparation for April 16, 2015, we want to provide you with another creative look at water heaters. Please click on the infographic to the right to find out about Water Heater Types & Maintenance!
Identify your water heater:
- Gas water heater
- Electric water heater
- Tankless water heater
3 main steps of water heater maintenance
- Turn down temperature
- Test T&P (temperature and pressure relief) valve
- Flush out
Routine water heater maintenance
- The temperature setting will be either a knob on a gas valve or a thermostat behind an electric water heater
- Turn the temperature to between 115-120 degrees. This will prevent overheating during maintenance
Test the T&P valve
- Lift valve up on lever part way, then allow to snap back
- You should hear gurgling water as the valve allows water to be released into the drain tube
- If the valve did nothing, have it replaced
Flush the water heater
- Place a bucket under the drain valve at the bottom of the tank
- Turn the valve counter-clockwise to release a few gallons of water into the bucket.
- Be sure to close the valve tightly after releasing water.
Click here for additional step by step instruction on how to provide regular maintenance to your water heater. Still have questions? No problem! Contact us today to learn more! Don't wait, April 16th will be here before you know it!