Do you have frozen pipes? Even in mild climates, pipes can freeze in the winter, leaving you with the potential for ruptured pipes and widespread water damage. Mr. Rooter Plumbing has extensive experience in managing frozen pipes and preventing them from bursting. Read on to learn what you need to know to prevent a water damage catastrophe in your home.
Tips to Prevent Frozen Water Pipes from Bursting
If you have a pipe that’s frozen but not burst, you need to act quickly. These simple steps can help with quick thawing to prevent frozen water pipes from bursting.
Turn off the water to the house at the main valve.
Open all the faucets in your home to drain water and relieve pressure in the pipes.
Turn up the heat in the house to warm the whole plumbing system.
Use a space heater, hair dryer, or heating pad to warm up the section of pipe that’s frozen.
Once the frozen pipe is thawed, turn the main water valve back on. Check water pipes throughout the house for leaks.
Related Topic: How to Insulate Outdoor Water Pipes
How to Prevent Pipes from Freezing in the First Place
The best way to manage frozen pipes is by preventing them from freezing in the first place. There are some easy ways to keep the water in your pipes flowing, even in the coldest months of winter.
- Remove garden hoses from spigots in the fall before the weather gets cold. Put them in a safe storage area until spring.
- Cover outdoor spigots with insulating covers; this can not only prevent freezing but also damage from falling ice chunks and tree branches.
- Drain all your outside water lines.
- Protect any exposed pipes located in basements, garages, crawlspaces, or near exterior walls with insulating wraps.
- During extremely cold weather, let your indoor taps drip. This is especially important for pipes near exterior walls and in the coldest areas of the house.
- Never turn off your heat in the winter, even if you’re leaving town for an extended period.
Professional Advice and Service
If you’ve ever had a frozen pipe burst, you understand what a nightmare it can be to clean up the mess and have the plumbing repaired. Knowing how to prevent pipes from freezing and bursting is essential for any homeowner, but if damage does occur, it’s even more critical to have a professional in your corner to assist you. Your local Mr. Rooter® Plumbing can help minimize the risk of a pipe freezing and bursting in your home. And if needed, we can also help with a complete plumbing inspection and repairs should a frozen pipe burst. To learn more about these and the many other services we offer, call or request a job estimate today!