Of the 125 million homes in America, approximately 30 million of them have a septic system as opposed to being networked to the city sewer system. Septic systems are a cost-effective alternative and, when installed and maintained properly, can last for many decades (for many people, the entire time they own their home). The team at Mr. Rooter® has the skills and the knowledge to provide regular maintenance checks to your septic system, looking for leaks, cracks, corrosion, and sludge. Some things you and your family can do to support your septic tank maintenance include:
- Check the toilets and faucets in your home for leaks; schedule them for repair if needed
- Use appropriate water levels for laundry loads
- Do not run a dishwasher that is not full
- Do not flush or rinse things down the toilet or drain that are not biodegradable
- Save grease in a can rather than pouring it down the drain
Regular maintenance and responsible use will help to keep your septic system working efficiently and safely for years to come.