Mr. Rooter Frozen Pipe Services in Katy
The changing of seasons always brings something new to celebrate. The beginning of winter especially brings new and exciting traditions – building snowmen, celebrating the holidays, and making hot cocoa are just a few of the highlights.
Unfortunately, this time of the year also brings freezing temperatures. As the mercury falls, your pipes become more prone to bursting. The winter season can cause costly plumbing issues if you don’t adequately prepare. By performing basic maintenance, you can effectively prepare your home for colder temperatures.
What Causes Frozen Pipes?
When the temperature drops below freezing, ice can build up in your pipes. When water freezes, it expands and creates excess pressure in your pipes. When this pressure builds, it can split the components of your plumbing system and create expensive water damage once the ice thaws.
A single burst pipe in a home can yield 4 to 8 gallons of water a minute. In a matter of a few minutes, you could have expensive water damage throughout your home, requiring extensive repair. Worst of all, gushing water may destroy items that are irreplaceable, such as family photos or other heirlooms.
How Can I Prevent Frozen Pipes?
Here’s the good news: you can prevent this scenario from happening. To prevent frozen and burst pipes, observe some basic cold weather precautions:
- When frigid temperatures set in, turn on faucets and let a very small trickle of water run through to keep water moving through your piping.
- Ensure adequate warm air circulation to your piping by opening under-sink cabinet doors or setting small fans near piping.
- Check your basement doors, windows and crawl spaces for adequate sealing and weather stripping.
- Insulate any exposed piping.
- Drain your sprinkler system and hoses each fall.
- Seal and insulate your attic.
- Consider installing storm doors and windows to prevent drafts.
If you need help preparing your plumbing for cold weather, call the professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing for a cold weather checkup. We provide preventive and maintenance services to keep your system healthy.