How Do Drains Become Clogged?
The primary purpose of your home’s drains is to carry wastewater away from your home. This can be a dirty job because it often involves transporting dust, dirt, food scraps, soap, toothpaste, and other debris. These particles and chemicals can build up in your drain, causing them to become clogged. The most infamous sources of clogs in the kitchen are grease and oil. They may seem like liquids when you put them down your drain, but once inside, they will harden and form solid clumps inside your pipes. This is why residential clogged drain cleaning services are so important.
How to Identify a Clogged Drain
Most of the time, your drains will not become clogged overnight. Clogged drains form gradually over a long time. You will find it much easier to fix a clogged drain if you address the issue before it becomes a complete blockage or requires extensive plumbing repairs. To do that, you must keep an eye out for the early warning signs of a clogged drain. Some of the signs that let you know you need clogged drain cleaning include the following:
- Drains that emit a noticeable odor
- Toilets that back up
- Gurgling noises coming from toilets
- Sinks that make a bubbling sound when they drain
- Unusually wet areas of your lawn
- Unexplainable puddles near laundry appliances, bathtubs, sinks, or floor drains
Any Drain Can Become Clogged
Any drain in your home can become clogged. Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Lafayette LA’s service professionals are equipped to clear clogged drains in any part of your home, from your kitchen to your bathroom. Each drain will require a different approach. So, we recommend getting a professional clogged pipe drain cleaner to help you. Below, you can find some of the most common drains in your home and some ways you can prevent clogs from forming in them. The average home has the following drains:
- Bathroom Drains – Your bathroom probably has more drains than any other single room in your home, including your toilet, sink, and bathtub. The most common source of clogs in bathroom drains includes hair, soap, and toothpaste. You can prevent hair from clogging your shower with a hair trap. Meanwhile, you can reduce the likelihood of toothpaste hardening in your pipes by running hot water for a few minutes after you are finished brushing your teeth.
- Kitchen Drains – Your kitchen sink often has to deal with oil, grease, and small pieces of food. Ideally, you should avoid letting any grease or oil go down your drain because it will solidify and cause a stubborn blockage.
- Floor Drains – The wastewater that goes down your floor drains will pick up all sorts of dirt, grime, and debris from the ground before it flows down the drain. The best way to keep these drains clean is through a strict regimen of drain cleaning.
Tips to Get a Blocked Drain Flowing Again
When you need to clear a clogged drain, it is always best to turn to a team of qualified professionals like Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Lafayette LA. However, there are times when a minor clog can be fixed with a few simple steps. To get a drain flowing again, follow these steps:
- Partially fill your sink with water.
- If you have a double sink, plug the other drain. If you are dealing with a bathroom sink, plug the overflow hole.
- Use a plumbing plunger to pull the clog up toward the drain.
- Use a snake to retrieve the source of the clog.
- Repeat the process until your sink starts draining again.
We Clear Clogged Drains for Businesses Too
Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Lafayette LA also clears clogs for business owners, property managers, and commercial properties. A clogged drain can turn away customers and make your property look ill-kempt. When one of your drains becomes clogged, our team of service professionals can clear it for you, whether it’s a partial blockage or a complete obstruction. You’ll enjoy working with the area’s top team for commercial clogged drain cleaning services.
Schedule a Clogged Drain Cleaning Service Appointment Now!
Keeping your drains flowing freely has never been as easy as when you work with the experienced team at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Lafayette LA. We are your comprehensive source for all the plumbing-related services you’ll ever need. We don’t just clean your clogged drain. We help you figure out how the clog occurred and give you tips for preventing future clogs and preventing the cost of future clogged drain repairs. Schedule your clogged drain cleaning service appointment today!