Top 10 Holiday Plumbing Tips
If you live in The Woodlands, TX, and plan to have guests over the holidays, then you may want to have your plumbing checked! Consider the disasters that you could avoid if you have your plumbing system inspected before the higher amount of use it will go through during your holiday events.
Tips to Avoid a Plumbing Emergency:
- Try to avoid pouring fats and oils down your kitchen drain. Fats or oils solidify and cause clogs in your pipes. You can use paper towels to wipe the grease out of your pans when it hardens and then place it in the trash. You can also use a grease can before the grease solidifies.
- Try not to put fibrous foods in your garbage disposal. Some fibrous foods that can damage your garbage disposal are chicken skins, potato peels, celery, and particular fruit.
- Make sure cold water runs before and after you run the garbage disposal.
- Conserve water by running appliances at night while everyone is asleep.
- Put plungers in each of your bathrooms before the holidays.
- If you have a tank water heater, spread out shower times so that everyone gets an equal amount of time for hot water.
- When needed, turn up your water heater so that your water tank holds a large amount of water that is hotter. The hotter your water, the longer it lasts. Be sure to monitor the degrees and keep it below 125 degrees so that no one gets burned.
- Only flush toilet paper and waste down the toilet. Everything else should go into a trash can. Even the items that say they are “flushable” should still go into the trash, so they don’t clog your plumbing.
- Be sure to keep a screen on your bathroom sinks so that you can make sure the least amount of hair gets into your drains.
- Call Mr. Rooter for plumbing help if you need an emergency plumber over the holidays.