To read more blogs, click here.
Stock Your Toolbox: The Tools You Absolutely Need to Have
You don’t have to be an avid DIY-er or fixer to need a fully-stocked and handy toolkit. Many homeowners need tools for a variety of home maintenance and decor tasks, including hanging pictures, building furniture and even small fixes around the house. So what are the best tools you should have to perform simple to even more complex tasks?
The Toolbox Checklist
Whether you’re looking to make major fixes around your home or just want some tools for simple projects, there are 10 tools you should have, including:
- Claw hammer: As one might expect, a hammer is the cornerstone for anyone’s toolbox and can be used for a variety of purposes, from driving nails into the wall to connecting two pieces of wood together. Select a hammer with a 16-inch handle that weighs about one pound with a handle made from sturdy and dependable rubber, plastic or vinyl.
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers: Like the hammer, screwdriver sets are essential tools for your kit. Choose both flathead and Phillips tipped screwdrivers to assist you with anything from opening lids to building furniture. For easy use, find kits with magnetic ends and comfort grips.
- Tape measure: For successful home improvement projects, you’ll need to have a tape measure. You can use these tools for anything from measuring walls to hang pictures to properly building new pieces of furniture. Tape measures are available in a variety of sizes, but the most practical types are 3/4 of an inch and at least 16 feet long.
- Adjustable wrench: With an adjustable wrench, you can have multiple tools in one handy wrench. Adjustable wrenches can be locked to various sizes to tighten or loosen bolts or help you adjust plumbing fixtures.
- Needle nose pliers: Good for gripping small items as well as household items that need to be cut, bent or gripped tightly, the long, skinny shape of needle nose pliers helps you get access to tight spaces, making this tool a crucial one for your toolbox.
- Vice grip pliers: When you’re the only handyman in your household, vice grip pliers can come in handy. These pliers can lock in place, allowing you to use them as pliers, an adjustable wrench, a pipe wrench, a clamp or wire cutters.
- Drill and bits: While a drill and bits is essentially a screwdriver and screw, an electric drill is needed for many toolkits and makes projects faster and easier to complete. Certain models even have different bits that can sand, grind, stir paint and more.
- Level: Have you ever hung something on the wall only to realize it’s completely crooked? Keeping a level in your toolbox will ensure you never hang another picture or object lopsided again.
- Utility knife: Utility knives are versatile and useful for a variety of tasks, including cutting open boxes, sharpening pencils and more.
- Flashlight: Sometimes you’ll be completing a project where the lighting isn’t quite sufficient for you to see what you’re doing well. Having a designated toolbox flashlight will help you make sure you’re sawing, screwing or cutting correctly.
Schedule Plumbing Services With Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida
To guarantee you always have the best, most knowledgeable and affordable plumbing in the Oneida, NY, area, contact the experienced and skilled technicians at Mr. Rooter Plumbing. We’ll help you with any plumbing installation or repair project, large or small. Learn more about our plumbing services today by calling us at 315-472-1203 or filling out our online contact form.