Residential Frozen Pipes Repair in Oneida, NY
When Your Pipes Freeze, Call the Pros at Mr. Rooter® Plumbing
One of the biggest issues homeowners face in Upstate New York is the possibility of frozen pipes. While winter includes many great traditions such as making gingerbread homes and building snowmen, frozen pipes is one tradition most would rather put on ice. Thankfully, there’s good news.
First, frozen pipes are fully preventable if you take the right measures. And second, if your pipes do freeze, you have a service provider on your side that’s available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help repair pipes that burst due to freezing. At Mr. Rooter® Plumbing of Oneida, we serve Upstate New York with comprehensive residential plumbing services, include emergency services for frozen pipes.
If your frozen pipes do burst, the situation can be extremely inconvenient and expensive. When pipes burst, up to eight gallons of water can seep into your home each minute, which can lead to thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.
What makes pipes burst? First, ice starts to form in your pipes when water drops to just a few degrees below freezing. Pressure builds up — massive pressure of more than 3,000 psi — which splits the pipe and becomes a gushing leak once the ice melts.
Take steps to prevent frozen pipes. But if it does happen at your Oneida home, know that Mr. Rooter® Plumbing is here with around the clock emergency services that can get your home back in working order again.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
As with so many of your home’s components, preventative maintenance can help prevent disaster. If you take measures to prevent frozen pipes, your home’s plumbing system will remain healthy and fully functional through the coldest months of the year. Here’s a look at what you can do to prevent frozen pipes:
- Let a small trickle of water flow out of a faucet to keep the water moving through your pipes (and to make it more difficult for that water to freeze).
- Open the cabinets under your sink to keep some warmer air circulating around your pipes.
- After opening the cabinets, use a small fan to further move the air around your pipes.
- Seal and weather-strip basement doors, crawl spaces, windows and other areas.
- Make sure your external pipes are fully insulated.
- Drain your sprinkler system at the end of the watering season, and disconnect and drain outdoor hoses and spigots.
- Replace drafty windows and doors in your attic, and insulate and seal the attic as a whole.
- Use storm windows and plastic coverings in the coldest areas of your home.
What to Do If Frozen Pipes Burst
We see it every winter — homeowners in Oneida see pipes burst, no matter the precautions they’ve taken. Here’s what to do if your pipes do burst:
- Shut off the water (and electricity): Start with the water. Go to your home’s main valve and shut it down. Then, cut off the electricity in whatever part of your home the damage has occurred.
- Call a pro: Repairing burst pipes isn’t a do-it-yourself project. Contact a professional that offers 24/7 emergency services — a provider like Mr. Rooter® Plumbing — and get the expert support and guidance you need in a situation like this.
- Starting bailing water: As you wait for the professionals to arrive, begin to remove water from the affected area of your home in whatever way you can. If you fail to remove water, you face a greater risk of water damage. Use towels, a wet-dry vacuum or anything else at your disposal to get rid of the water.
Emergency Services From Mr. Rooter® Plumbing
Don’t let frozen pipes spiral out of control at your Oneida home. Get in touch with the team at Mr. Rooter® Plumbing for responsive assistance that helps mitigate the damage and repair the problem. Our team of technicians includes deeply experienced and knowledgeable plumbing professionals who know how to tackle the challenges related to frozen pipes and burst pipes.
We’re here 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to deliver the residential plumbing services you need. When disaster strikes, count on the team at Mr. Rooter® Plumbing. Contact us today for 24/7 emergency plumbing services with no overtime charge.