How to Fix Bathtub Chipping
Porcelain is one of the sturdiest materials you can use for your bathtub, but over time it can succumb to wear and tear, leading to cracks, scratches, or chips. When your tub forms chips, don’t just settle on replacing it — instead, try fixing the bathtub chips at home using tools you can easily find around your house.
Fixing the chipping on the outside of your tub can simply and affordably repair surface chips and scratches and last a long time. However, keep in mind that if the chips are located in the basin of your tub, you may have to make more frequent bathtub chip repairs. Easily repair your tub by following these six easy steps using common household tools like cotton swabs, a blow dryer, a putty knife, and rubbing alcohol:
- First, dry the chipped area thoroughly using a blow dryer. The area must be completely dry for the porcelain repair compound to stick.
- Sand the area down with 220-grit sandpaper until the edges are smooth. Sand only the damaged area to avoid scratches.
- Next, clean the area with a swab and rubbing alcohol. Then let it dry.
- Mix the porcelain repair compound with high-gloss, alkyd-based paint and stir the mixture with a wooden dowel. Add color until the mixture matches the porcelain surface.
- Use a putty knife and apply the mixture to the center of the chip, then spread it towards the edges of the chip. Keep adding the compound until it covers the edges of the chip. Scrape any excess mixture off so it’s flush with the tub’s surface.
- Let the compound dry for at least 12 hours and then blend the edges with a cotton swab dipped in nail polish remover.
For Your Plumbing Needs, Call Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida
If you’re a resident of the Oneida, NY, area in need of commercial or residential plumbing services, then trust the professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing. With over 45 years of experience, we pride ourselves on offering the best services to our customers. We guarantee fair, flat-rate pricing, 24-hour emergency plumbing services, and the promise that your project will be completed correctly the first time using only the best tools and methods available.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, our licensed plumbers are certified by Onondaga County for plumbing leak detection or any other plumbing-related projects, so you can count on your services being performed using the most effective knowledge available today. Our technicians specialize in residential services, including plumbing repairs, drain cleaning, plumbing video inspections, and water heater installation and maintenance.Give us a call today to learn more or complete our online form to request an estimate.