Spring Cleaning for Your Plumbing
When the temperature warms up, many homeowners take the opportunity to spruce up their homes and clear out full closets. While cleaning out your home, don’t neglect to give your home’s plumbing a springtime cleaning as well. Your home’s plumbing system provides you and your family with daily comfort and convenience — and by performing simple spring plumbing maintenance tasks, you can prevent plumbing damage, reduce repair expenses and improve performance.
Cleaning Your Plumbing for Springtime
This spring, keep your home’s plumbing and fixtures in pristine condition with several simple and effective cleaning tasks:
- Empty Out Gutters: During winter, twigs, leaves and debris can clog your gutters, which can cause standing water. The clogs can prevent gutters and downspouts from draining properly and even cause corrosion and sagging. This results in puddles and flooding that can damage the inside of your home.
- Cleaning Floor Drains: In the winter, homeowners enjoy long showers, holiday parties and large family meals. This excess food waste, grease, hair and debris entering your drainage system will eventually form buildup and clogs that slow your drainage and even lead to water backup. Prevent clogs and poor drainage by using a snake and hot water to clear the built-up debris, then place hair traps over tub drains to catch hair and other items. Avoid using store-bought chemical cleaners to clear persistent clogs, as these solutions can end up causing extensive damage to your plumbing system. Homeowners can also call a professional drain cleaning company to inspect your home’s drainage, locate any signs of debris and use industrial-quality solutions for lasting results.
- Inspecting Plumbing: Check out your pipes and outdoor plumbing for signs of cracks and damage. If you can’t determine obvious signs of pipe damage, note any common symptoms, including low water pressure, damp patches of drywall and increased water costs. Plumbing with unaddressed issues can burst at a later time, causing extensive flooding and costly water damage.
- Repair Leaking Fixtures: Along with your pipes, inspect the quality and condition of your plumbing fixtures. Cool temperatures can crack and warp faucets, toilets and shower heads, leading to future plumbing issues and increased water bills.
- Check Water Heater Temperature: Having your water heater at the proper temperature means your system, as well as additional appliances like dishwashers, can operate efficiently and dependably. Make sure your temperature is set at 120 degrees Fahrenheit. If your water heater isn’t operating reliably, take the time to replace this system with a modern unit that’s more eco-friendly and cost-effective.
Let Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida Help With Your Plumbing Spring Cleaning
Keep your plumbing running smoothly and reliably with regular maintenance performed by the highly trained and licensed plumbing professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing. We specialize in residential and commercial plumbing maintenance, repair and installations throughout the Oneida area in New York. When you trust our experts to assist you with your spring plumbing cleaning, you get helpful and friendly professionals, affordable services and personalized plumbing solutions.
Schedule our spring cleaning plumbing maintenance services today by calling 315-363-1565 or request a free estimate by completing our online contact form.