What to Do When a Pipe Bursts in Your Home
A burst pipe is one of a homeowner's worst nightmares. Not knowing the signs and being unprepared for this plumbing issue can result in more water damage and clean up. Here are the warning signs of a pipe about to burst and the steps you can take if it happens.
Warning Signs for Burst Pipes
Burst pipes are usually an unwelcome surprise, but there are some warning signs to look out for:
- Rusty, discolored water with a bad smell
- Puddles under your sinks
- Abrupt changes in water pressure
- A spike in your water bill
- Clanging noises coming from pipes behind the walls
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to take action and call a plumber right away.
What to Do When a Pipe Bursts
When a pipe bursts in your house, there are several steps you can take to help mitigate the damage:
- Turn off your water. The sooner you do this, the better. Shutting off your main valve will help minimize the damage to your home.
- Drain the faucets. After the water has been turned off, drain the remaining water by opening your faucets. Doing so will help prevent areas from freezing and also relieve pressure within your pipe system to avoid more bursts.
- Locate the burst pipe. Look for bulging ceilings, warping and other signs of where the water damage has occurred. Once you locate the pipe, you will be able to determine if it is a small crack that can be patched or a major repair that needs to be dealt with right away.
- Call a professional. If you need significant repairs, contact a professional to come in as soon as possible. At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida, we offer 24/7 emergency service for your convenience.
- Document the damage. If you have extensive pipe damage, be sure to take photos of the affected areas so you can document a claim with your insurance. Take close-up photos of the damage and use a measuring tape to show how high the water is. You should also take photos from different angles for a wider picture of the affected areas.
- Start cleaning. After you have documented the damage, start cleaning up the water as soon as possible. The longer the water sits, the higher the chance that mold will develop.
Contact Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida for All Your Plumbing Needs
If you are dealing with a burst pipe, contact the licensed professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Oneida today. We have the knowledge and experience to provide reliable solutions for your plumbing needs, and with our 24/7 emergency service, we can get to you at any time.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing, we are a local company offering a wide range of plumbing and septic services. Whether you have an emergency situation or need basic plumbing maintenance, we can help. Give us a call or request a free estimate.