If you live in Bergen County, NJ, you can maintain your sewer system regularly to avoid costly repairs and replacements with a few tips from Mr. Rooter Plumbing. We want our community to have the knowledge to care for sewer systems, which allows everyone to live in better neighborhoods.
- Watch what goes down your drains. Protect your sewer system by setting up rules and guidelines in your home about what can and can’t be put into your garbage disposal, toilet, and sinks. Food, toys, hair, and grease can all cause issues with your sewer systems.
- Avoid using disposable wipes as they don’t break down like toilet paper.
- Check your pipes regularly to make sure you don’t have leaks.
- Listen to your system for noises and gurgling. These noises are signs of a sewer problem that could grow bigger very quickly.
- If you have a clog, try to fix it with hot water or a plunger. Don’t use liquid drain cleaners as they can damage your pipes.
- Wash your hair and skin with products that are more water soluble.
- Dispose of paint, oil, and chemicals by calling the county or city offices and asking them for proper disposal locations.
- Make a compost pile or buy a compost bin for your property. Peels and skins from vegetables and fruit, coffee grounds, and eggshells are all great for creating nutrient-rich soil for your garden or landscaping.
- Get your drains cleaned regularly. Calling Mr. Rooter Plumbing for drain cleaning services will help you keep the drains in your home clear so that you can avoid extensive repairs in the future.
- Use drain strainers to collect hair, food, and other debris that would typically fall down your drains.
While it is inevitable to have some build-up in your drains or clogs in your sewer system, following these tips can help you keep your sewer system working as well as possible. If you have any questions about noises, smells, or other signs that you may have a sewer problem, we can come to analyze the sewer system in your home and make sure it works well.