Frozen Pipe Prevention in Knoxville
Ensure that the Cold Stays Away
Winter brings along with it many traditions. From building snowmen to making gingerbread houses to picking your Christmas tree, there are numerous great traditions that are included with these times of year—don’t make frozen pipes one of these! Winter in Knoxville can frequently lead to plumbing issues if frozen pipes aren’t prevented or cared for properly. By performing some maintenance around your house, you are able to effectively get prepared for colder weather.
If frozen pipes burst, they could become an exceptionally expensive home catastrophe. Only one burst pipe in a house running at four to eight gallons every minute may do tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Bursts can happen as soon as the water cools several degrees below freezing within the pipe, causing ice to create. This could bring about pressure building up well over 3000psi, which could split the pipe and result in eventual water damage and mold once the water is thawed within the pipe.
Call our Knoxville plumbing professionals at (865) 730-0067.
Simple Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes:
- Open a faucet and permit a rather small trickle of cold water to run to help keep the water transferring your pipes and avoid a freeze.
- Keep warm air circulating around your pipes—consider opening the under-sink cabinet allowing to get more heated air to flow.
- Place a little fan near your pipes and cabinets to help keep the atmosphere moving.
- Make certain cellar doors, windows, and crawl spaces are properly sealed and weather stripped.
- Insulate your external and / or exposed pipes with necessary pipe insulation components.
- Drain out your sprinkler system prior to the winter months (disconnect and drain all outdoor hoses and water spigots).
- Seal and insulate your attic and consider replacing drafty doors and windows.
- Consider installing storm windows and protective plastic coverings for colder areas