Bathtub-to-Shower Conversions: Are They Worth It?
Doing a bathtub-to-shower conversion is popular among homeowners, mostly for practical reasons. The thought of upgrading to a luxurious walk-in shower is extremely tempting, but is it worth the expense? How will it impact property value versus having a new bathtub installed? Here are some things to keep in mind before you leap from a tub to a shower.
Reasons to Remove a Tub and Put in a Shower
There are several good reasons to remove a dingy old tub and put in a shower, not the least of which is the potential return on investment (ROI). Zillow reports that bathroom improvements yield the greatest ROI, resulting in a $1.71 increase in home value for every dollar spent.
More and more homeowners are converting from tub to shower, most of which are lifestyle-related.
- Walk-in showers are easier to access. This may be important for aging homeowners who might have a harder time stepping over the side of a tub.
- Showers make a bathroom look larger. They take up less visual space, making even small bathrooms appear more spacious.
- Showers can be more eco-friendly. If you’re trying to reduce your environmental impact, you might prefer showers to baths since baths tend to require more water than showers.
If you’re ready to start your conversation, your local Mr. Rooter Plumbing can help. We offer bathroom renovation services that can convert your bathtub to a shower with the least amount of disruption to your household schedule.
Is a Shower or Tub Better for Resale?
Whether a shower or tub is better for resale is a common question many homeowners consider before removing a tub. Real estate professionals advise that as long as it’s not your only bathtub, converting a tub to a shower shouldn’t hurt (and might even help) your home’s resale value.
If your home is located in an area that younger families tend to move to, you might want to keep at least one bathtub in your home for resale purposes. Knowing your goals, as well as the demographics of your community if you ever plan on re-selling, will help you decide if a tub-to-shower conversion is the best idea for you.
Of course, if you’re not planning on moving or are not overly worried about your home’s resale price, then it will ultimately come down to deciding what will work best for your lifestyle.
Related Topic: How to Unclog a Bathtub
The cost to replace a tub with a shower will depend on a few things:
- Whether the plumbing and drains will need to be completely re-done to accommodate the new shower.
- What style of shower you’re putting in. Some styles and types are more expensive than others. For example, installing a walk-in shower will generally cost more than installing a shower stall.
- The materials you use in the new shower. High-end materials, such as natural stone and luxury fixtures, will add additional cost to the project. Still, the price may very well be worth it if it makes your new shower more enjoyable (and valuable).
Related Topic: How to Repair a Shower Diverter
Find a Plumber for Your Bathtub-to-Shower Conversion
A bathtub-to-shower conversion can be a useful and practical upgrade for your family, and a great return on your investment. When you’re ready to get started, contact your local Mr. Rooter Plumbing for help. We’ll make sure your plumbing project goes smoothly and we guarantee the job will be done right. Give us a call or request an estimate online today.