Hot Water on Demand in Syracuse, NY
Hot water on demand water heaters are an energy-efficient option for homes looking to replace or upgrade their existing unit.. Best suited for homes requiring less than 41 gallons of hot water per day, under normal usage an average household can save over $100 by switching to a tankless system. Mr. Rooter® Plumbing of Greater Syracuse has a number of ENERGY STAR®-certified on demand hot water heaters. Let us help you find the system that's right for you.
Contact Us for More Information >
How Does a Tankless Water Heater Work?
As opposed to bulky tank-based systems, on demand water heaters use a gas or electric element to heat water as it passes through a pipe on its way to your faucet. Houses with larger hot water needs can run two tankless water heaters in parallel, or they can have individual units dedicated to specific appliances that use a lot of hot water. A tankless system also makes an excellent complement to a solar hot water installation, providing backup heating when necessary.
Pros and Cons of Hot Water on Demand
The average Syracuse home with an on demand hot water heater will require considerably less energy to heat their water. Depending on the amount of water used in a day, and the energy efficiency and configuration of the appliance(s), on demand water heaters can use 50% of the energy of a conventional system. In addition, tankless water heaters take up less space in the home, are easier to repair and have a longer operational life than tank storage heaters.
On demand hot water does have its drawbacks: systems are typically more expensive upfront than conventional water heaters, and, for houses that use more than 86 gallons of hot water a day, energy efficiency for a single unit begins to drop. Tankless water heaters can produce between 2-5 gallons of hot water per minute. While this is enough to take a shower or run the dishwasher, most systems will be unable to handle both at the same time.
What Size Tankless Water Heater Do I Need?
The size of the tankless water heater that you need will depend on the number of devices you want to run at a time and their total flow rate. Along with the flow rate, you also need to consider the required temperature rise for the different uses.
Mr. Rooter can help you to determine the size of tankless water heater that is right for your home and your needs.
Tankless Water Heater Installation Checklist
In order to choose the right tankless water heater for your home, there are a few things you should consider in advance:
- Gas or electric — Gas heaters are more efficient and more powerful, but they require additional work to set up. Electric heaters are a smart choice for smaller homes and apartments, or for homes without a gas hookup.
- Mounting space — Determine how much wall space is available to install the heater. Remember that, for gas heaters, access to a gas outlet is essential.
- Cold water temperature — The colder the water in your home, the more powerful a heater you’ll need to bring it to temperature.
- Water flow rates — Each appliance that uses hot water has a recommended flow rate, measured in gallons per minute (GPM). Consider the number of appliances you plan on running simultaneously and determine the maximum flow rate you need.
- BTU — Water heaters are measured in BTU, and higher BTU units heat water faster. The power of your unit will depend on the flow rate and the incoming temperature of the water.
Syracuse's on Demand Water Heater Experts
Whether or not an on demand hot water heater is right for your home will depend on your water usage and the amount of money you're able to invest in your system. Whatever your needs are, Mr. Rooter Plumbing can help you find the water heater that's right for your budget. Contact us today for more info!
Related Water Heater Services
- Our Water Heater Services
- Water Heater Installation
- Water Heater Replacement
- Water Heater Repairs
- Bradford White Preferred Vendor