Garbage Disposal Repairs and Service
Your garbage disposal is what keeps your kitchen running smoothly. Repairing or replacing a backed up garbage disposal may not be your highest priority, but Mr. Rooter® Plumbing makes it easy with 24-hour plumbing repair service, seven days a week. Our technicians can diagnose your problem and suggest repairs that respect your budget. We offer courteous service that saves you time and money by using the sophisticated technology we have access to as a national franchise.
Garbage Disposal Components
A garbage disposal consists of a motor attached to a flywheel that turns a series of teeth to grind up food waste. With regular maintenance, a garbage disposal will give most households years of trouble-free use. When your garbage disposal does break down, however, there are a few common scenarios in which a small repair can get you up and running again.
- Garbage disposal won't turn on: A garbage disposal that won't turn on is likely the result of an electrical issue. Begin by ruling out any obvious sources of the problem, such as the unit becoming unplugged or a circuit breaker tripping. Your garbage disposal may include a reset button — try pressing that next. If that fails, the motor may have blown, in which case it will be necessary to replace your garbage disposal with a new unit.
- Garbage disposal only hums: If your garbage disposal makes a humming noise but won't turn, the likely culprit is a stuck or worn out flywheel. Use a broom handle to free it or, using a wrench, unscrew the flywheel and clean out any debris that may be making it stick.
- Leaking: A leaking garbage disposal is usually the result of a worn hose or seal. A thorough check of your system should indicate where the problem is.
- Clogged drain line: Never use chemical cleaners to clear a backed up garbage disposal. To check for clogs, remove the unit and visually inspect the pipe for obstructions.
- Worn teeth: An older garbage disposal can be repaired by removing the flywheel and either sharpening or replacing the grinding mechanism.
Get Expert Garbage Disposal Repairs With Syracuse's Plumbing Experts
Save yourself the time and hassle of diagnosing and repairing a clogged garbage disposal by calling Mr. Rooter Plumbing. Our expert team is available 24/7 to inspect your unit and suggest appropriate residential plumbing repairs. We can also outfit your kitchen with a suitable replacement if repair isn't an option. Give us a call to schedule your appointment today!