To read more blogs, click here.
Your Drain Is Clogged. What Should You Do?
It doesn’t matter if you’re a business or a homeowner, few things are more frustrating than having a clogged drain and not knowing how to deal with it. If you’re in the Phoenix area and are experiencing clogs, frequently or not, you can always call Mr. Rooter for quick, reliable service. With a 24/7 emergency service line, you’re never alone and you don’t have to be afraid of that spilling-over toilet creating a mess in your building.
Below are some quick tips on drain maintenance and some ideas for how to handle a clog.
How to avoid clogged drains in Phoenix, AZ
Prevention is key. Here are a few simple things you can do to avoid clogged drains:
- Don’t pour grease down any drains
- Use a drain screen or TubShroom to catch hair in showers or tubs
- Don’t put potato peels, coffee grounds, or eggshells in your garbage disposal
- Take care to use your garbage disposal as sparingly as possible
Tips for clearing a clogged drain
While there is no substitute for professional maintenance, if you need to handle a clog quickly there are a few methods you can try. It is important to note that these are all just temporary fixes and will very rarely address the issue that created the clog in the first place meaning it is only a matter of time before the issue recurs.
- Clogged sink or tub: Turn on the faucet and fill the sink partly with water (if you have a double sink, plug one side with a rag); if it’s a bath sink, plug the overflow hole. Use a cup plunger and begin plunging the sink or opposite side of the sink, in the case of a double sink. Work the plunger several times, then pull it off. Repeat this action a few times and wait for the clog to clear.
- Clogged toilet: If you’re trying to fix a clogged toilet, using a flange plunger versus a cup plunger will yield better results.
- Avoid commercial/chemical drain cleaners: The most important pro tip of DIY-clog release is this: do not use commercial/chemical drain cleaners. These drain cleaners may seem handy, but they can do more harm than good. Commercial drain cleaners use harsh chemicals that can cause corrosion and erosion inside your pipes. This weakness allows tree root invasion, breakages, leaks, and even problems in your main sewer line. These cleaners may help you clear a clog, but the potential costly consequences down the road are just not worth the quick fix.
How to spot the subtle signs that your drains might be clogged
Clogged drains can give many of the same symptoms as a variety of other plumbing problems, so in order to correctly diagnose any problems, look out for these signs:
- Water slowly backing out of a drain
- Pools of water around your shower or bathtub drains
- Water draining slowly after forming a pool
- Toilet water bubbling after you run the sink
- Your drains make gurgling noises, most frequently after running your washing machine or dishwasher
- There is the smell of rotting food coming from the kitchen sink
When you’re not sure what to do, call the professionals at Mr. Rooter
You’ve tried everything and your sink won’t drain. Your toilet won’t flush. Your utility room drain isn’t draining and you don’t know why. You’re noticing the symptoms of a plumbing problem and you’re afraid there’s a bigger issue that you can’t identify. Fortunately, the professionals at your Phoenix, Arizona Mr. Rooter can conduct an in-depth inspection of your pipes to identify exactly what is causing the issue and has state-of-the-art trenchless repair methods to fix it without disrupting your day or damaging your property.
Contact Mr. Rooter to talk about an estimate for maintenance inspections and drain clearing procedures.
Call Mr. Rooter today at (855) 982-2028 for more clogged drain tips and tricks, as well as services.