It’s always tempting to do it yourself. The thought of finding the time and money to put toward an expert service provider coming out to your home and providing repairs, maintenance, replacements or renovations can sometimes feel overwhelming.
At the same time, there’s a line between what is a worthy do-it-yourself project and what should be left to the professionals. To help you know where to draw the line, and to help you spend your time and money wisely, here’s a look at the do’s and don’ts of do-it-yourself plumbing:
The Dos of DIY Plumbing
- Do Research: Never start a project haphazardly. It’s tempting to jump right in, but with plumbing projects you risk flooding your home or creating other unfortunate situations. Make sure you understand the process behind what you’re doing before you start. Learn from others’ mistakes as they describe projects via video or blog post online. And always make sure you have the right tools before you start.
- Do Be Safe: Always be safe when working on plumbing projects. The pride that comes from a DIY project is not worth putting yourself in harm’s way.
- Do Use Quality Materials: Use only the best products when working on your home’s plumbing. When shopping, look for the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS) seal of approval, which means that the materials you’re choosing are quality and compliant.
- Do Ask for Help: When you run into a roadblock, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Many plumbers offer 24-hour emergency services, which means you always have backup when you need it.
The Don’ts of DIY Plumbing
- Don’t Ignore Warning Signs: Look for dripping leaks, damp spots and stains and other warning signs. Never dismiss warning signs, whether before, during or after a job.
- Don’t Forget Regulations: What you can and can’t do in your home is often regulated by city, county and state officials. This is especially true when you’re working on your home’s plumbing system, as rules exist to ensure drinking water remains uncontaminated.
- Don’t Take Shortcuts: Any time you’re working on your home, remember that someday you might sell that home — and you’ll want the best possible return. Shoddy do-it-yourself work is one of the fastest ways to undermine your home’s value. You can do it yourself as long as you can do it right.
When You Need an Expert
When you need an expert, trust Mr. Rooter of Greater Syracuse. Our team of expert service providers can deliver the support you need on a wide range of projects. Contact us today for a quote or to schedule an appointment.