To read more blogs, click here.
Plumbing Problems: Repair vs. Replacement
Your home’s plumbing represents one of its most significant systems, and choosing between repair and replacement of plumbing equipment is an important decision that can have an impact on your home’s function and value.
No decision is black and white, but you can take into account key factors that help ensure you make the best possible choice for your home. Here are several things to consider as you’re choosing between repair and replacement of certain plumbing equipment and components in your home:
- Age of Equipment: How old is the equipment you're considering replacing? If it's only a few years old, you can naturally expect more utility out of it. In these cases, it's smart to go ahead and make repairs. But if the equipment in question is getting long in the tooth and it's reasonable to expect the need for replacement, perhaps it's best to skip the repairs and get something new.
- Cost of Replacement: Cost is always a question as well. If repairs cost less than $100 and replacement costs more than $1,000, perhaps it's a good idea to try out the repairs first. But if the cost of repair and replacement is much closer, it's a better idea to go ahead and move forward with replacement.
- Longevity of Repairs: Always ask your service provider how long you can expect repairs to hold up. If the answer is just six months or a year, consider moving forward with replacement. There’s no use investing in repairs if you’re only going to get several months of value out of them.
- Tolerance: How well can you tolerate the problem at hand? If it’s a matter of dealing with an under-performing water heater that takes a little bit longer to deliver hot water to your bathrooms, perhaps you can do nothing and tolerate this under performance. But if it’s a water heater that’s not heating water at all, that’s another story altogether.
- Context: When you’re in the midst of renovations, that’s the time to make replacements. Given that pipes and other equipment that’s typically hidden may be suddenly exposed, the cost of replacement should be lower than ever given that there’s no need for demolition.
When you have questions about plumbing replacement versus repair, call on the experts at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Syracuse. We’re glad to provide expert guidance as you weigh your options and make the best possible decision for and your home. We can even visit your home to evaluate equipment that may need repair or replacement.
Choose Mr. Rooter Plumbing and make sure you’re choosing experience, knowledge and a commitment to excellence. Contact us today about choosing between repairs and replacement for your plumbing equipment.