To read more blogs, click here.
What to Do If Your Pipes Freeze
It’s never good when your pipes freeze. You can prevent this from happening by letting faucets drip during sub-freezing weather, or by opening bathroom and kitchen cabinets to get warm air circulating where the water flows. But, if all else fails and you do need to address frozen pipes, there are specific actions you should take to fix the problem. Here’s what to do if your pipes freeze:
- Open Faucets: You’ll notice your pipes are frozen because the water will just drip out rather than flowing. You may think it’s a good idea to turn your faucets off, but you should leave them open — flowing water will help melt the ice inside your pipes.
- Use Electric Pads: Your pipes are most likely to freeze along exterior walls or where the water comes into your home through the foundation. Use an electric pad to heat up these areas. This should start to thaw the ice. Do not under any circumstances use a blowtorch, propane heater or any other device that includes a flame.
- Use Space Heaters: You can also increase the rate at which your pipes thaw by using a space heater near where the freeze occurred. A space heater can help deliver focused heat to the area where you need it most.
- Keep It Up: Keep using the heating pad and space heater until your water returns to normal flow.
- Call a Licensed Plumber: While you’ll definitely want to call a licensed plumber if you can’t thaw the freeze, you should also call one even if you can thaw the freeze. Why? Because frozen pipes can create damage that isn’t apparent at first. A licensed plumber can inspect your pipes for any additional harm and make repair recommendations if permanent damage has occurred, like cracks or breaks.
At Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse, we’re your source for licensed plumbing professionals. When you experience frozen pipes during the heart of winter, we respond with the support, guidance and service you need to restore your home to normal. Frozen pipes can cause a lot of damage, and our team can help mitigate that damage and ensure the issues are taken care of.
We work on plumbing issues of all kinds, including frozen pipes and much more. If your toilet or faucet is acting up, your main sewer line is clogged and in need of service, or you simply need proactive maintenance and inspection of your home’s plumbing, call on the team at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse. We specialize in helping homeowners like you ensure that their homes are operating at their peak potential.
Contact us today about frozen pipes and other plumbing issues at your Greater Syracuse home.