To read more blogs, click here.
Fix Small Leaks and Save Yourself From Major Problems
When it comes to your home, you want to do everything you can to keep it in the best condition possible. Small leaks can be minor annoyances when they first start, but after a while, they can actually cause major problems if they're ignored.
When you have a small leak, you do not necessarily need to call the plumber right away. There are some quick, simple things you can do yourself to stop that dripping kitchen sink or leaking pipe in the bathroom cupboard.
You do not have to be really handy to take on these DIY fixes. All you need are the right tools and the motivation to get that leak taken care of. Here are some common fixes for minor leaks:
- Replace the faucet head: The faucet head is the smaller piece on the faucet where the water comes out. If the faucet head is old or was not installed correctly, it might leak.
- Replace the O-ring and washer: The O-ring and washer combination attach the faucet to the counter or edge of the sink and prevents water from escaping. If you have a leak at the base of the faucet, replacing these parts could stop it.
- Tighten the pipes: If you see pooling water in the cabinet below the sink, you likely have a leak where the pipes connect. Simply tightening these pipes can prevent the water from leaking out.
When you fix these leaks sooner rather than later, you can prevent larger issues from happening.
Below are a few consequences that could occur if you do not fix those small leak problems quickly:
- Structural damage: Water is not a good thing to have in certain areas of your home, like at the bottom of a cupboard or cabinet. If a small leak in an area like this is ignored, it can start to cause structural damage to the cabinet.
- Mold: Mold and mildew love moisture. When you have leaks, it can grow. Mold is dangerous to have in your home because it can cause health problems to the people living there.
- Devaluation: If you sell your home, later on, you will most likely have to ask for a lower price. Buyers will see that there are problems and either move on or ask for a lower price to compensate for those problems.
If you need professional help with anything from a small leak to a bigger plumbing problem, Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse is here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule an inspection.