Summer is the most carefree season for families — kids are home from school, exciting tropical vacations are planned and weekend BBQs are scheduled. With your household buzzing with activity, you may begin to notice the increased commotion and summer heat is taking a toll on your home’s plumbing system. The best way to avoid the costly, inconvenient summer plumbing problems is to properly prepare before the heat sets in and recognize common plumbing system issues.
Common Summer Plumbing Issues
With warmer temperatures, you may think the most damaging threat to your plumbing has passed, but rising temperatures and frequent, harsh summer storms can be just as harmful to your plumbing if you’re unprepared. Keep an eye out for these common summer plumbing problems, so you can easily avoid them and enjoy your summer:
- Sprinkler system malfunctions or flooding: Sprinkler systems should be properly winterized to avoid damage, but once spring starts thawing out your lawn, make sure to check the sprinkler heads for clogs or obvious signs of damage. Also, be careful when mowing the grass and avoid running over the heads with the machine.
- Sewer line backups: Sudden heavy storms can saturate the ground, loosening the soil and letting it seep into small cracks in the pipes, eventually causing blockages and backups in your sewage system.
- Clogged garbage disposals: With more cookouts planned, homeowners must be careful to avoid sending excess food scraps down the garbage disposal. Common summer foods like corn cobs, bones, melon rinds and peach or nectarine pits can damage and clog your disposal.
- Backed-up toilets: With more guests and family members running around your house every day, your toilets are being used more and likely to become clogged — make sure to use a modest amount of toilet paper and avoid flushing foreign objects.
- Leaking washing machines: Warmer temperatures mean you and your family will be outside often, soiling more clothing than usual. Running large, heavy loads of laundry strains the washing machine, leading to blockages and overflows. Instead, wash your clothing in small loads and regularly check your machine’s hoses for leaks and damage.
The Best Defense Against Summer Plumbing Problems — Routine Plumbing Maintenance
With so many potential summer plumbing problems, is there a way to prevent breakages and water damages? The best solution to keep your plumbing and sprinkler system running smoothly is with routine plumbing maintenance. When you schedule annual plumbing maintenance services with the professionals from Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse, you can preserve the quality of your plumbing system, improve appliance efficiency and reduce water expenses and avoid costly emergency repairs.
Schedule Plumbing System Maintenance of Summer Repairs Today
Make sure you have a hassle-free, relaxing summer by maintaining the quality of your home’s plumbing system with help from the friendly, trained local plumbing professionals at Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse. We strive to always offer our customers throughout the Greater Syracuse, NY, area with comprehensive, helpful and reliable plumbing services. All our plumbers are licensed by Onondaga County to perform any plumbing-related project and understand the best tools and techniques to locate the source of your plumbing issues and recommend quality solutions.
Schedule summer plumbing maintenance services today by calling (315) 472-1203, or complete our online contact form to request a free service quote.