Dishwashers are incredible time-savers for families everywhere, so when yours stops working, it can be a major headache. Let's take a look at some common dishwasher problems and plumbing issues as well as ideas for how you can fix them.
If you're having any of these problems, you can try some solutions on your own before calling a plumber.
The Dishwasher Won't Drain
If your dishwater isn't draining, try taking the following steps to identify the problem:
- Check the bottom of the machine to see if there are any blockages: Sometimes food or utensils can fall and block the drain.
- Inspect the drain hose: If there are any kinks in the hose or the garbage disposal is too full, your dishwater's ability to drain might be impacted.
My Dishes Aren't Getting Clean
This situation could be the result of a few different issues. Here are some factors to consider:
- The float switch could be dirty: If this is the case, the solution may be a bit tricky — you would need to take the dishwasher apart to clean the float switch and the surrounding components, including the spray arm. The switch might also just be stuck, which is worth looking into.
- You may not be using the right dish detergent: Before you worry about the float switch, check the manufacturer's instructions regarding what kind of dish soap you should be using. Sometimes, a fix can be as simple as switching detergents! In fact, the wrong detergent can lead to other issues as well.
Steps to Prevent Dishwasher Plumbing Issues
Even if your dishwasher is running smoothly, it's a good idea to pay attention to the way it operates. Here are some dishwasher plumbing maintenance tips to prevent problems before they arise:
- Make sure you are using the right kind of dish detergent: Believe it or not, the wrong type of detergent can clog the drain in your dishwasher. Always check the manufacturer's directions before you try a new kind of detergent.
- Listen to the dishwasher when it's running: If you know what your dishwasher sounds like when it's working correctly, you will be able to tell right away if a problem develops. Humming or clicking sounds might indicate a problem with the drainpipe or the motor.
- Be mindful when loading the dishwasher: Anyone can run into issues loading the dishwasher correctly, especially if they're in a hurry. Overloading the dishwasher is a common mistake — along with arranging dishes haphazardly. Check the manual for instructions about loading your dishwasher if you are ever unsure.
Still Having Dishwasher Plumbing Complications?
These tips will go a long way toward helping you keep your dishwasher running smoothly. If you'd like some additional guidance, you might consider reaching out to a professional for your plumbing maintenance needs. Mr. Rooter Plumbing of Greater Syracuse proudly serves the Greater Syracuse area with licensed plumbers certified by Onondaga County. For high-quality help with any dishwasher maintenance or repair needs, request a job estimate for our services today.